Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 what do you think about stabilizer quick connects??? >

what do you think about stabilizer quick connects???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

what do you think about stabilizer quick connects???

Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what do you think about stabilizer quick connects???

what are your ideas/experiences with these gadgets. they seem like a nice thing to have if they work well and stay tight.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:26 PM

Default RE: what do you think about stabilizer quick connects???

I've just never been that lazy

Seriously, i owned both the Shooting Specialties, and a Golden Key. In the old days the major problem was we had the 12" IBO rule, so it just made it difficult to get a stab of the right length, and if you could get them about 2" of the stab space was being used up by something that didn't help the stab function, in fact was negative. With long stabs the length factor isn't an issue, but again i wouldn' take the hassle of a 24" stab, and then undermine it with one of these gizmos. An unlimited rig shouldn't have any compromises. On the other hand if you like say 6" hunitng length deals, then you are back to the limited space problems.

I personaly feel that the best stabs bar none are carbon rods with doinker tech. That verges on being a proveable fact, Some of these are about 1/2" in diameter, and they are fast to unscrew as well as having low windage.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly feel that the best stabs bar none are carbon rods with doinker tech. That verges on being a proveable fact, Some of these are about 1/2" in diameter, and they are fast to unscrew as well as having low windage.
I believe doinker gets their carbon stabelizers from a company in Europe called Carbofast.
they are good stabelizers I have the 28" carbon stabelizer with a little chubby on the end of it on my Target bow.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

If you need to put your bow in a hard case fairly often, they're worth it. If you only go on airliners once or twice a year, save the $15. The one I have now loosens up after 20-30 shots, so I had to hold it down with a 1" hoseclamp. (Good thing I'm not concerned about aesthetics!)
Old 02-24-2004, 08:49 AM

Check out the Muzy quick disconect..no need to ever try any other.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Depending on your application the QD can serve some purpose other than making it easy to get your stab on and off. For instance, on a target rig, you will find many using a 10 degree down angle quick disconnect. Having you stab at a slightly down angle will help stabilize the bow and make it naturally want to resist any sort of cant.

If you are even remotely considering a QD, then I would check out the AEP quick disconnect system. It is by far the best designed QD out there. I previously used a Shrewd and the AEP is worlds better.

For a hunting rig or a 3D rig with a 12" or less stab, the 10 degree downward angle means a lot less so you would essentially just be using it for convinence.

I don't agree that by adding one you are removing any effectiveness from the bow or stab. My AEP is actually more solid than when I screw directly into the bow.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:10 AM

It's hard to see how having a coupling so you have two connections is better than one, maybe the threads on your stab aren't all that great.

The effectiveness comes in a few situations:

Any time you add weight to the base of the stab you change the efficiency by which it acts as a means of pushing the weight into the perimeter. Realistically this isn't a big deal if you love really heavy bows. Some guys are shooting awesomely heavy, and in their hands, steady units. I don't go for that, and I think the lighter the bow is with as much in the perimeter the better. I think that's correct, even if you want a 12 pound bow. On the other hand, since a lot of stabilizers are terrible in terms of the centre of gravity many people may hardly notice how bad their weight distribution is. Grab your stab, and hold it by one end, then the other so that the whole thing is hanging off your hand. It should feel very heavy from the threads end, and almost weightless from the other end. Many stabs are neutral, some even heavier from the threads. Include your quick disconect in this. It's like your friend says, "well today I'm going to experiemnt with a little extra weight on my stab". A few moment later you see him screwing some weights between the bow and the stabilizer. Nothing strike you as odd about that picture?

The other effectiveness issue is where you have a short maximum limit, like in the old days where the unlimited class was 12". You could shorten the effective length of your stab. If the stab uses a chamber to kill vibe, or is all carbon for weight, the more you substitute something whose sole purpose is for when you aren't shooting the bow, the more you affect performance. Still very popular in some venues are the multi rod stabilizers. Shooting Specialties came out with some of these that had integral disconects and were noticeably less effective since the rod length was about 25% shorter. On longer stabs since you aren't capped it doesn't mater as much, though you still have the CG question.

I shoot the shrewd precision all carbon stab, just like the doinker, though maybe a little cheaper, quality seems as good or better.

With how long it takes to shoot a round of 3D, I have plenty of time to screw in the stab!!! With hunting length stabs, I shoot 12" I don't bother taking it off.

It's like candy, some kids have sticky fingers for the gizmos, and that's alright too.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:02 AM

Hi I've yet to have any problems with my Vibracheck quick release system. I use it bolted on over the offset system and nothing has ever moved. 100% happy with it
Old 02-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

I use AEP QD's exclusively; they're built extremely tough and will last forever.
I mainly use a QD to save wear and tear on my insert threads and save time putting my bow back into its case.
I have 6 compounds with AEP's attached.
They will not vibrate loose if installed correctly.
Don't leave home without one.
Get one, Ossage; you will like it.

Sag.