HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Homemade Targets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/47567-homemade-targets.html)

DavidPaul007 12-28-2003 09:46 PM

Homemade Targets

Being short on money, I can't afford to buy expensive/fancy targets to shoot at and so I've started to (attempt to) get creative.

I have a bowhunting friend that uses a simple burlap bag (though hard to come by) and he stuffs them with old cotton from a mattress he found along the road-side. I dont' have an old mattress, so I need some ideas for stuffing. So far I'm thinking about using my current store-bought target (filled with cotton-like material) and putting it into the burlap sack...however, it's not large enough to fill up this sack.

It seems like getting old throw-away cloths and stuffing them inside would work well.

Any thoughts suggestions??

bobcat 10 12-28-2003 10:03 PM

RE: Homemade Targets

go to www.huntingfootage.com search around they had a video on making your target last and to stuff it they used burlap.shows them shooting into it.

go deep hunt hard.;)

timber cutter 12-29-2003 07:04 AM

Try bubble wrap with the small bubbles.:D Dan

Rangeball 12-29-2003 09:17 AM

By far the cheapest target I've ever been able to make is, well, free, and stops even fast carbon arrows very well with easy removal.

Find a cardboard box that has one face the size of the target you wish to have, say 2'x2' or whatever you want. Go to a dumpster behind a busy furniture store. Cram the box as full as possible with the discarded plastic shipping wrap they throw out. You can also get this type of pallet wrap plastic at grocery stores on their shipment days, just ask the manager if you can come fill up.

Once the box is as full as possible, duct tape it shut and shoot away. When your box gets shot up, get a new one, and move the plastic to it. You really only need to get the plastic once, as the box will get shot out way before the plastic, and when you stuff a new box, the plastic gets re-arranged...

Works like a charm...

DaveH 12-30-2003 12:27 AM

Find a feed store or a farm store that has bags for seed and such. They will often give you a bag or two for nothing. Then stuff it as full as you can with the plastic wrap they discard that comes on the pallets. I've made a couple this way for nothing and they completely stop my arrows and require only two fingers to remove. When it gets shot up, just reshift the wrapping and get a new bag . . . or make a new one.:D

SIDEWAYS 12-30-2003 03:39 PM

Try a carpet store or someone who installs carpet and ask if you can have any leftover carpet padding. Find a cardboard box the size you want your target, cut and fill with the padding. It usually takes 6 to 8 inches of padding to stop the arrows. Just don't leave the target out in the rain.

Shootem up870 12-30-2003 09:55 PM

try sum newspaper crumpled up