HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Compound or Recurve?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/44985-compound-recurve.html)

Epuller 12-02-2003 02:34 PM

Compound or Recurve??

I am new to the Archery world and currently own a Browning Recurve Bow.

I was just interested to see what other members would recommend in Hunting White Tail.
I am a pretty fair shot up to about 20 yards. After that it gets a little skittish.

You seem to be able to pick up Compounds around here, quivers, arrows and all for about 60-65 bucks.

Epuller 12-02-2003 02:39 PM

RE: Compound or Recurve??

Also this was my 1st post and I look forward to drawing from all of your woodsy experiences.
Thank you all for participating.

Raymond van Halm 12-02-2003 02:45 PM

Whats the poundage on your recurve?

I have shot my deer all under 20 yrds, but i took them with a compound.
I am working on my first real hunt with a recurve to.
My recurve is 45#
Sharp broadheads are more important......

Epuller 12-02-2003 02:52 PM

Recurve is 47#'s.
I will not have the fastest arrow in flight, but I am sure it should do the trick.

Maybe not though.
I just liked the thought of the traditional stategy. They were bringing bucks down long before we made the tech advances.
Lots of good technology out there though.

dathein 12-02-2003 10:26 PM

Where in the world can you find an entire compound setup for $60-$65??? As far as a recommendation . . . . . you need to go with what you are most comfortable with. I prefer traditional. At times it can become very frustrating, but it is also very rewarding. Just my 2 cents. :D

Arthur P 12-02-2003 10:39 PM

The $60-65 compound setups are old, outdated and (dare I say it) obsolete compared to what's on the market now. Many of them are still quite capable of taking a deer, but many others have been shot to pieces by folks using ultra light arrows on the 3D course. You really need to know what to look for before spending your money on a used compound. You might get a decent enough bow, for what it is. You could also simply be buying somebody else's junk.

Most recurve shooters are exactly the same as you. Pretty fair shots up to 20 yards but a little skittish when they get past that. Just keep your hunting shots within your confidence zone and hunt with that recurve.:)

Epuller 12-03-2003 08:02 AM

Why Frustrating??

I appreciate all of the comment so far.
Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback.

dathein 12-03-2003 10:45 PM

What I meant by frustrating is that you can go for weeks hitting everything you look at and then something minor changes in your form and you can't hit the broad side of a barn. That can be frustrating.

When I hit times like that I go back to the basics and depend on a lot of practice, patience, and persistance (as well as a lot of advice from all the great people on the trad board).:D;)

Troy n Oh 12-03-2003 11:35 PM

Traditional all the way! It takes more patience and practice to remain a good shot but there are far fewer chances of equipment failure in the field. I have shot ALOT of compounds and it always seemed I was at the range checking sights and what not to make sure nothing moved or rattled loose. Now when I am at the range it is to have fun and get in some decent practice. Just my .02 for what it was worth good luck and most of all have fun

Shootem up870 12-30-2003 08:12 PM

a compound bow is a easier to shoot than a recurve. a recurve has no let off that i no of. but a major advantage to a recurve is they are extremely quiet and lighter. hope i was helpful

hunting isnt a committment, its an obsession