HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Crimson Talon vs G5 Montec (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/43819-crimson-talon-vs-g5-montec.html)

JPruiett 11-19-2003 10:12 PM

Crimson Talon vs G5 Montec

Has anyone shot the Crimson Talon or Montec G5' s? I heard both were great and am trying to decide between them, partially because the crimson talon' s aerofoil, but on of my hunting buddies toasted a nice ten pointer with a G5. I also know somebody who shoots buckblaster with a complete passthrough every time. Just looking for everybodys 2 cents.

98Redline 11-19-2003 11:00 PM

RE: Crimson Talon vs G5 Montec

I have been shooting the Montecs this year with very good results. They are a very tough head and fly with my fieldpoints. I really like the idea of a single piece of metal from " head to thread" .
The sharpening of the heads can be a bit tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy and takes about 5 min per head.

While some have posted good results with the CTs, I have heard more people taking about their lack of strength on hard bone hits. Things like the ferrule bending or blade loss seems semi typical with this head.

The Rocket mechanical heads are also a very good choice. If you have the KE in your setup for a mech, they can be very effective. The steelhead seems to be the most popular as well as the toughest of the rockets. Additionally it' s 1 1/2" cutting diameter is relatively modest compared to the awesome 2 1/2" buckblaster. For the steelheads, I would recomend no less than 55 ft-lbs of KE to ensure the blades fully open and you get adequate penetration. I have also shot the Rocket Slammerhead with very good results (KE=64 ft-lbs). This head is 1 3/4" diameter with the pathfinder tip. The doe I hit nearly dropped in her tracks (<5 yds from where she was hit). The head busted through a rib, both lungs and clipped the heart.

That' s my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

5 shot 11-20-2003 02:55 AM

This is an easy one. The Crimson talons are way over rated and exspensive for what you get. The montecs are strong, accurate, and very well made. I would choose them way ahead of the CT' s. Infact for the Money I would choose a lot of other heads over the CT' s. When I tested them I found the blades dull, and weak, accuracy was good but no better than other heads, and at 11 bucks a peice they should hold up better.

bbahunter 11-20-2003 05:43 AM

Hands down, keep shooting the G-5 montecs!
They are are a great head, while the crimson talons are hype!

live2bowhunt 11-20-2003 09:54 AM

I have used the Montec G5' s for the last two years with awesome results. They fly great and are extremely tough.The sharpening is easy once you figure out that using wet/dry sandpaper is the best technique. I learned this technique from some previous posts. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

How' s this for strong...I was shooting a broadhead tipped arrow with two field point tipped arrows at 40yds. I shot the broadhead arrow, then shot a field tip arrow which I heard slam into the broadhead arrow. The field tip(steel) struck the back of one of the Montec blades(stainless steel). The impact caused a chunk of metal to be scraped off the FIELD POINT and fused permanently into the back of one of the Montec blades. The Montec blade was still straight, and the head still spun perfectly. WOW!!

JeramyK 11-20-2003 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

This is an easy one. The Crimson talons are way over rated and exspensive for what you get. The montecs are strong, accurate, and very well made. I would choose them way ahead of the CT' s. Infact for the Money I would choose a lot of other heads over the CT' s. When I tested them I found the blades dull, and weak, accuracy was good but no better than other heads, and at 11 bucks a peice they should hold up better.
I agree with 5 shot. I purchased some of the Crimson Talon heads just before the season. I' ve yet to hunt with them though. From what I found while practicing they do fly very well. I have no complaints there. However the blades aren' t made to withstand a beating. That is my only complaint with these heads.

bayonets 11-25-2003 05:44 AM

The G5 is an awesome and accurate Broadhead for any setup.

eightwgt 11-26-2003 06:39 PM

There is no question here......... The G5 is a FAR superior head. The Montec head flies as well as any head I have ever shot and holds up great. I shot a 7 point, about 200 pounds 2 weeks ago with one at 25 yards..... I hit right at the shoulder crease (rear) and came out the opposite shoulder - I was on the ground and the arrow went 15 yards pass the deer after the shot... so obviously penatration is awesome with this head. I was worried about not having it as shaving sharp as my Steelforce heads and shot it to see how it did and I can say it passed with an A++

Go with the Montec........

Wackmasterj 12-01-2003 10:21 AM

Montec all the way. Will be much happier with that choice.

Urban_Redneck 12-04-2003 10:57 AM

I haven't shot a Montec at a deer (yet), but I was excited to find that all 6 I bought flew right with my field points.

I will say that first resharpening of the 6 heads I bought /shot was a little bit of a process because they are ground at the factory perpendicular to the edge. When I resharpened them according to the instructions it is almost parallel to the edge. I used 400grit emery cloth layed on top of a bench stone, soft Arkansas, and a super fine black bench stone (was my Grandfather's:)). They are now shaving sharp and ready for business[:-]

UR