Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Pop up blinds??

Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Pop up blinds??

I am looking for information in regards to pop up hunting blinds. My wife has taken up bow hunting and can' t do tree stands. I would let to hear what board members thoughts are on the various models. The two things I am most concerned with are ease of set up/takedown and huntability. I would like to get her something that she can set up on her own and be easy to carry. What are other important features that should be considered?

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 11-18-2003, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Pop up blinds??

I own a Double Bull T-5. It is a super blind, but a bit expensive. However, I think they are the best blinds on the market. There is no wind flap, they are roomy, and they are not real heavy.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are a variety of pop-up hunting blinds on the market that would be more than adequate for your needs. May I suggest taking a look at any of the Ameristep blinds currently being produced? www.ameristep.com

I will try to comment further at a later time as I have several of the models....but I have to run for now...
Old 11-18-2003, 06:18 PM

I have a outhouse blind by ameristep . It is a little tight for archery I think but great for gun hunting. Real lite and easy to put up or down. They make a bigger model maybe called a doghouse that might be good for the bow. I think the quality is good for the price. 2 years ago gun season a 9 pointer walked right by mine and got shot. Would have been nicer if I was the one sitting in it.[]
Old 11-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double Bull BS5. Its big enough for both of you so you can coach her first few hunts. A bit pricey but built to last and with features that really work. They don' t flap in the wind.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:51 AM

I' ve got the Ameristep Penthouse(I love it!)...a little heavy for what you are looking for but I think the Doghouse would be great and it' s only about 70 dollars from the Sportman' s Guide vs. about 3-400 hundred for the Double Bull blinds. Don' t get me wrong I think the DB blinds are great but I think the Ameristeps are very good for the money.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:57 PM

Hope this response isn't to late for your needs.

I have the Double Bull T2. For a single hunter its a great blind, as someone else stated there is virtually now wind flap, and it's easy to set up. The only problem that I had with it, that should be easily fixed is that while gun hunting in it we had a steady moderate to heavy rain with temps between 38-42. I noticed that there was a fine mist coming from the fabric after awhile. I'll try some water proofer on it after the muzzleloading and late archery season are over with to see if that will help.

Last season I had a real nice buck 8-10 pt following a doe, they came within 5 yards of my blind, but they came up from behind me where I couldn't easily turn around and shoot, due to all my gear, chair, and portable heater. I was shocked when I saw how close they were.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the Double Bull T5 BBPS. I've used it for turkey, moose, deer and duck hunting--as there's also a zipper in the roof. The blind weights about 17 pounds has a carrying case and strap and can be thrown over the shoulder, supported by your back and your hands are still free for carrying other gear. It's mostly water proof, but avoid rubbing the inside during heavy showers as water will drip from that area. Water proofing the outside improves this condition greatly.

As well as the Ameristep there's also the Game Tracker, almost a 'copy cat' of the Double bull, (game tracker), but in the game tracker, the support 'cross rods' for one of the sides were replaces with vertical locking rods at the two corners, which collapses by itself at times and the blind then implodes. This is because the Game tracker has placed the door opening on a side, limiting the ability to use the cross rods (X) as compared to the double bull, that has all four sides and the roof X-supported, and has the access to the blind (double bull) in a corner.
For a blind that will be with you for a long time--I would spend the money and go for the Double bull, in my opinion it's worth the investment.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 PM

I have an Ameristep Scent Control pop-up (sorry, can't remember the specific name of it). I haven't used it, but my dad has taken several from it (all rifle...no bow).

Make sure you have the windows in. I've been told deer spoke with a big black hole in the middle. Along with that, you will have to shoot fixed and not expandables through the windows.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What PABowhunter and DeerT said is good advise!
Have had my Penthouse for three years now and
still in very good shape and working great,good
luck in your search,good hunting!

Quick Reply: Pop up blinds??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.