Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions >

Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions

Old 11-10-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions

In my few years of bowhunting(4) I have had kills and recently some non-fatal shots with mechanical heads (I shoot a MQ1 29" draw, carbons ). The questions that I want to know are the following:

Are fixed blades more forgiving that mechanicals?
(i.e. if you place it in the wrong spot what will yeild more damage)

What gives a better blood trail?

How do a good fixed blade head fly?(i.e Muzzy) How perdictable is their flight pattern?

What heads inflict more damage?

I thank-you for your insight and your thoughts!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions

Well I will put in my 10 cents. I shot a doe the other day with muzzy 4 blade 90 grain. She was quartering away, the range was about 40 yards. I shot her a glancing blow to her left shoulder. I didnt know that until later. I never did find the arrow. There was fresh snow and there was blood all over. I waited an hour, tracked her to a thicket where she immediately ran again to another thicket. Blood everwhere, easy trailing. I went to the house about 3 hours got my partner, my wife (haha). We bumped her out of the thicket, she staggered to another thicket, again leaving a heavy blood trail. I waited and followed where I shot her. On examining her, there was a vicious wound on her shoulder, not a killing wound. Heavy bood every where she went. I got her. Those muzzys fly good for me with my Mathews Ultra 2 set at 70 lbs. It shoots about 280 fps with a Beman 400 ics at 28 inches long. I use a drop away rest to get good feather clearance. Alot of helical on the feathers. Those muzzys cut good too!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken about 12 deer with a muzzy 90 gr head and 1 with a shockwave. They both fly very nicely at high speed and seem to leave an adequate blood trail. The difference lies in the durability. The mechanical caused me to hesitate on a shot a week ago because the buck was quartering to me. If it was a muzzy on the end of my arrow I would have launched it immediately. At 90 lbs KE the penetration of the muzzy is crazy. It will bust right through a whitetail shoulder, I have done it. Luckily the buck turned a little more and I put the shockwave through both lungs. Nice blood trail, good penetration but I put the muzzy' s back on my arrows when I got home. I don' t want to question the integrity of my broadhead at a critical time. I simply want to pull back, pick a spot, and let it fly.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.broadheadtests.com and read my section on Mech vs fixed. it offers some of my opinions on the subject and what I feel the criteria for making the right choice are.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not read Chris' s web page yet but I am sure it will probably say the same or something similar to what I am about to post. It is nice to see you put it all together now Chris.

1. No, actually mechanicals are more forgiving of shooting errors and/or tune on any given bow since their is no significant exposed blade area during flight.

1a. Yes, but only if it is a larger cutting diameter mechanical.

2. In my opinion, again the mechanical provided it has a larger cutting diameter. The energy needed to open the blades fully also tends to punch more of a hole in the deer rather than just to slice along the blades.

3. I have found Muzzys to fly relatively well compared to both mechanicals and other fixed/replacement blade style heads. In fact, they would be my head of choice if we are talking about non-expandable heads.

4. Again, provided we are talking about large cutting diameter expandables and adequate KE levels the mechanical will inflict more damage for the reasons I listed above.

But, just to relate the downside....mechanicals are not a cure all for a poorly tuned bow and relatively high levels of KE are needed for most of the ones currently on the market.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 PM

A lot of people say they loose animals because mechanicals did' nt open. They claim " perfect" shots. I don' t believe this. You can kill a deer w/ a field point. It happens every year. Someone pulls out their " small game" arrow on accident.

I used to shoot expandibles. I never had any bad experiences. I switched because I did' nt always get a passthrough. I want 2 holes not 1. Also, someday I want to hunt larger game. I don' t want to tinker around between seasons.

I now shoot Muzzy 100 4bld. (have' nt used one yet). Used to shoot the 3 bld. Performed great. I shoot a drop-away w/ 4" RH feathers and my arrows fly awesome.

It really depends on what you want your arrow to do. JMO
Old 11-14-2003, 02:41 PM

If you shoot a deer through both lungs then it really dosn' t matter which broadhead you use!

I like fixed better but I have used mechanicals & they will work too. either way I think shot placement is the number 1 factor, a nice tuned setup is next! I have seen some junk mechanicals & some junk fixed & either way both are not as affective as they could or should be.

I think a lot of people get mechanicals because they will hit for them but they still do not get a good tune on the bow & arrow combo. When that arrow hits the target at a funky angel due to a poor tune you get really bad penetration - even with a fixed. I can' t count hopw many times I have seen guys shooting mechanicals about of a poorly tuned bow & then wonder why they lost their deer or had poor penetration.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM
BHS

Friday was a great day for me. Using a 62 lbs. Legacy shooting carbons with 125 gr. NAP Spitfire, I dropped a doe at 22 yards with a spine hit at approx. 7:30am, and had a double lung pass through on a 5 point at 8:00am from roughly 15 yards. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. I fully endore the mechanical Spitfire.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it comes down to what I am hunting. If I am going for deer, I use a fixed broadhead. You want it to comeout the other side and give you a not only knowledge on what kind of hit it was, but also a good blood trail.

I use mechanicals for say turkey hunting. I don' t want the arrow to go all the way through so having more of a stopping availibility is good.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

vortex have been my choice for three years great blood trails and no problems with pass throughs.if i ever hunt with fixed blades, wasp or steelforce get my vote.

Quick Reply: Fixed vs. Mechanical opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.