Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

HECS body suit

Old 10-07-2020, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default HECS body suit

Long read so bear with me. Then you can decide for yourself.
I saw these thing advertised a few years ago and watched several shows featuring this HECS "technology". I thought to myself "yeah right. Like this stuff is for real".
I was the ultimate skeptic. Especially after having 50+ years hunting under my belt. I've had deer within spitting distance of me without sensing me unless I moved or they smelled me.
But about 3 years ago I had some extra cash on hand so I figured what the heck. Let me give this my own test and see if its for real so I ordered a pant and shirt.
Now like I said I've been hunting for a while now. This is my 55th year and I've shot my share of deer and witnessed many more react or not react to my presence. Normally if they saw me they would go on alert but if I didn't move they would ease off cautiously.
Anyway I am convinced that there is something to this technology. I've had deer see me move, look, then go on as if nothing happened. Coincidence? Possibly. You know how pesky squirrels can be once they see a bowhunter in a tree? They will chatter at you for an hour ruining your hunt. I had one the day before I shot my buck climb up an adjacent tree getting eye level with me. We made eye contact and he twitched his tail a couple time the nonchalantly turned and went back down the tree as if unconcerned.

What really convinced me though was this past Tuesday. PA in my area requires a buck to have at least 3 points on one side to be legal. I had a buck come up and catch me off guard. He just popped out of nowhere and was 20 yards in front of me, I could see that he was a forkhorn and he was walking in the thick brush. Try as I might I kept looking to see if he had a brow tine thus making him legal. I was bobbing up and down in my tree stand trying to get a good look at him in the under story. That's when I caught movement about 20 or so yards behind this buck. It was a nice 8 point. He looked right at me several times as he followed the lesser buck. But didn't see me as a threat. He never raised his tail or walked faster. I was able to release an arrow on him and he is now residing in my freezer.
I am convinced that had I not had on the HECS I would have been busted and never had a chance at him. I am no longer a skeptic. I'll take any edge I can.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-07-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think one BIG part of something working or not, is HOW much YOU believe in something
if something gives you added confidence, its a win, for you, its a 100% edge IMO<

I am not going to say it doesn't work nor works
as for me, and my experiences with trying different things and spending a LOT of time in the outdoors and near wildlife on a daily basis yr round
I can say I have had countless experiences with wildlife ignoring me being close moving and or??
IMO< some animals just are more sensitive to things than others at times, and in what they will alert on or not!

I am also lucky enough to be near the SAME wildlife often, meaning same deer, bear, and like animals
and I have seen the SAME animal one day react and another day NOT, to me doing the same things!

a prime example is, I have a few resident deer that sort of live in my backyard,(some doe are over 8 yrs old now, they have markings that make IDing them super easy) there here 5-6+ hours a day in my yard!
some days I can run my skid steer within feet of them and they don't move, heck some days they follow me as I have a habitat of knocking apples down when I hit lower hanging branches on some of my apple trees
they will have almost zero fear of me or my machine,(some days they will even stick there heads inside machine and smell me, if I park long enough near them)
and then some days as soon as I start the machine, they can be 10-150 yards away, and they will run off as if someone just scared the heck out of them!

I get this same reaction to other wild critter from bears, foxes, squirrels and other animals
be me on a machine, or me walking about, and I can be wearing camo, bright clothes and so on!
this also applies to me sitting on deck, some days they will run some days they won't care?

I can have squirrel going nuts alarming at me to having them also ignore me!

I gave up trying to find a reason, , most logical for me is simply, some days they are less weary of things and some days there over sensitive and everything in between other days!
Kinda of like why or when sheds fall off, I also found ZERO real reason when that happens, , it just happens when it happens! LOL

but having confidence is a huge part of most things we do, the more confidence you have in something, the more reasons you will find to show it works, nature of the beast !

Old 10-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

mrbb...I hear what you're saying. But I also know the deer around here. Any, and I mean, any indication of a human around they go ballistic. I hunt exclusively public land. This buck I shot is at least 3 years old so he's been around long enough to note human danger when he sees it and there was no way he could have not seen me moving around.
Like you said confidence is a big thing. I'm not 1000% sure it works but there has to be something to it. I'll keep using it though and relate my own experience with it.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Bronk isn't a gimmicky-type guy. Nor one to buy into things that aren't legit. If he says there's something to it-i believe it. Those clothes aren't cheap!

​​​​​

​​​​​​-Jake
Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does the material do with burrs and stickers? Is it quiet when moving through brush?
Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

It looks like allot of people wear them as a base layer from what I read about them.

-Jake
Old 10-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
How does the material do with burrs and stickers? Is it quiet when moving through brush?
Yes, as Jake said, you can wear them on the outside but although quiet I am sure they would attract and hold burrs easily. The material is actually very light but strong. I wear mine under my outer garments. The pants have a fly in them which is convenient for obvious reasons and a draw string tie.
I wouldn't want to wear mine as an outside garment. I've had mine for about 3 years now and its been washed several times and shows no sign of wear. I wear mine quite often from early October to mid-January.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you can wear them as an under layer and still derive the benefit of blocking your body's electrical signals (not totally sure I believe that yet) and staying fairly invisible to critters? I have infinitely more faith in you and your opinion than some guy at a hunting show who is hawking the stuff. It would be nice if it could be a single layer for hunting in hotter weather (not everybody hunts in the snow) but it's still intriguing.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think if it block electrical what ever, wouldn;t matter what layer it is on you
an electrical cord doesn't care if you hold in in your hand or with a glove on! LOL

I would still think however any uncovered part of you would give off so called electrical waves or?/
I agree it can have some effect on wildlife, but I still say, some critters even old mature animals, have times when there NOT so alert or bright! and get dumb at times, seen it too many times to think otherwise!
as if things ONLY got smarter more wary as they got older and never let up or down there guard, they would be almost impossible to kill and be a LOT more older class animals every where
I seen a LOT of animals near electric fences over the yrs, never seen then scared of it, some do find out the hard way and stay away after that, but, its not like they SEE it based on it being a charged fence
which is why I have some disbelief in thins stuff

I do however again fell, if one believes in something and it add confidence to them, it will ONLY help them, so can be money well spent on that side of things!

there is NO shortage of products that sell based on how ONE person feels they work and then turns others into believers and later on find out it was all marketing hype over anything real!

I recall MANY MANY decades ago, when TINKS, scents, was trying to sell, TURKEY SCENT ATTRACTANT!, and they DID sell a bunch of it till well, it didn;t work as claimed so much so
But I am sure there were some hunters that THOUGHT it worked great! HAHA!
Hunters have been proven to be extremely easy targets to short cuts to get them game, and this is a FACT<, hunters spend money like mad on giizzmo's and gadgets to HELP them outsmart an animal!

Old 10-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by elkman30
So you can wear them as an under layer and still derive the benefit of blocking your body's electrical signals (not totally sure I believe that yet) and staying fairly invisible to critters? I have infinitely more faith in you and your opinion than some guy at a hunting show who is hawking the stuff. It would be nice if it could be a single layer for hunting in hotter weather (not everybody hunts in the snow) but it's still intriguing.
Originally Posted by mrbb
I would think if it block electrical what ever, wouldn;t matter what layer it is on you
an electrical cord doesn't care if you hold in in your hand or with a glove on! LOL

I would still think however any uncovered part of you would give off so called electrical waves or?/
I agree it can have some effect on wildlife, but I still say, some critters even old mature animals, have times when there NOT so alert or bright! and get dumb at times, seen it too many times to think otherwise!
as if things ONLY got smarter more wary as they got older and never let up or down there guard, they would be almost impossible to kill and be a LOT more older class animals every where
I seen a LOT of animals near electric fences over the yrs, never seen then scared of it, some do find out the hard way and stay away after that, but, its not like they SEE it based on it being a charged fence
which is why I have some disbelief in thins stuff

I do however again fell, if one believes in something and it add confidence to them, it will ONLY help them, so can be money well spent on that side of things!

there is NO shortage of products that sell based on how ONE person feels they work and then turns others into believers and later on find out it was all marketing hype over anything real!

I recall MANY MANY decades ago, when TINKS, scents, was trying to sell, TURKEY SCENT ATTRACTANT!, and they DID sell a bunch of it till well, it didn;t work as claimed so much so
But I am sure there were some hunters that THOUGHT it worked great! HAHA!
Hunters have been proven to be extremely easy targets to short cuts to get them game, and this is a FACT<, hunters spend money like mad on giizzmo's and gadgets to HELP them outsmart an animal!
mrbb I was as skeptical as you are maybe even moreso. And you are right any uncovered part of the body will still emit electronic "signals". The company does make gloves and balaclavas also but I don't find that as necessary. A small part of the body like the face or hand could be like a squirrel or porcupine (we aren't the only living things that give off these impulses). I honestly believe that there is something to this based on my 55 years out there chasing all kinds of critters from fall through late winter. I know there are many that don't believe it works and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Elkman this material is very light and you can worry about it as an outer garment. But like I said earlier I'm not sure how it would withstand briars and thorns and the like. I would still wear it as an undergarment and get a light set of camo for warmer weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.