Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Mechanicals that fly like field points ? >

Mechanicals that fly like field points ?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mechanicals that fly like field points ?

Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default Mechanicals that fly like field points ?

Im looking for mechanical broadheads that will fly like my field points. Any opinions?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty much all of them typically do. There are a few with wide contact openers that may fly a little wonky but for the most part, that is their main gift. Now there are some that will increase your FOC a bit because of their length and that can cause a little difference in impact points between Field tips and MBH. But not a usual problem. I myself am not a big fan of mechanicals. Just too many things can go wrong in archery and I like to limit everything I can that will screw up. There are quite a few fixed BH's on the market today that fly quite well and pretty much dead on with field tips if your bow is tuned properly.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I see it the same way. I tried the mechanical heads for a brief time years ago and didn't like some of the things about them. Getting good flight and accuracy out of a fixed head is just a matter of balance, weight and spine set to a properly tuned bow. If you are having trouble with a set up get some help from a local pro shop.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Dad went through that same phase Champlain Islander. After a couple of failed pass through shots he got out of that phase pretty quickly. He said after a couple of hours having to hoof track a deer because the dang arrow was stuck in there plugging up the holes so very little to no blood trail taught him that lesson the hard way.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't get it.

The hunting shows will be like "use such and such huge broadhead" then they shoot a deer and it runs off with 9 feet of arrow hanging out of the near side.

Kind reminds me of this knife trend. 1/2" thick $300 knife that would sooner drive a nail than cut something.

Last edited by rockport; 08-30-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO there is nothing wrong with quality mechanical broadheads. I think the problem comes in when the bow does not have enough KE for its design or the design itself is inferior. I shoot a Mathews Chill @ 63# and shoot 100 gr Rage Hypodermic and have yet NOT to get a pass through. My daughter-in-law shoots my Martin Monster Buck Hunter @ 50# and I have her using Muzzy Phantom 100 gr BHs. She's take 2 nice size doe with complete pass throughs.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
IMO there is nothing wrong with quality mechanical broadheads. I think the problem comes in when the bow does not have enough KE for its design or the design itself is inferior. I shoot a Mathews Chill @ 63# and shoot 100 gr Rage Hypodermic and have yet NOT to get a pass through. My daughter-in-law shoots my Martin Monster Buck Hunter @ 50# and I have her using Muzzy Phantom 100 gr BHs. She's take 2 nice size doe with complete pass throughs.
Well obviously you know what your doing and I'm sure you will have less problems than most because your likely hitting every deer in a spot where anything would work but I still just don't get it. I mean fixed heads are devastating on deer, Even a liver shot.

Your definitely not wrong about the KE but the bottom line IMO is if you poke a hole through a deers vitals (in one side and out the other) with any broadhead its gonna die and you are going to find it every time. Why risk it?

I guess maybe we all have different experiences that lead us where we are and like I said you obviously know what you are doing but never in my life have I seen a deer shot in the vitals lost because a fixed blade wasn't big enough while I can't count how many Ive seen deer shot in the vitals lost from lack of penetration even with some pretty powerful bows.

Good choice for the daughter.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't get me wrong Rockport I've shot fixed blades for years and I still have a bunch of them (some still in their packages). In fact I had more deer fall within in sight in the woods using a 2 blade Magnus Stinger. They have a great lifetime guarantee too. But the only thing I didn't like was they aren't very strong. You would be practicing with them shooting at a Block type target and all of a sudden they would start to flare off because they got slightly bent. I lost a couple expensive carbon arrows because of this. And I only used brand new ones for hunting.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Mechanicals should not be a reason to not have your bow tuned. If your arrow is not flying straight and is fish tailing do not blame the mechanical broadhead for poor penetration. A poorly placed shot with either type of broadhead will have poor results. I put a 2 blade sniper broadhead through a buck at 55yds one fall and the exit and entrance wounds looked the same huge. I have shot fixed and mechanical heads and now a days they are both very good. As mentioned above the Rage heads are very goodand I would say stick to 2 blade models for better penetration. Before hunting with either type of broadhead fixed or mechanical make sure your bow is tuned properly. This will make for a much more accurate shot when the time comes.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Spike

You should be looking for a field point that flies like your Fixed blade broadhead...step up! Tune your Bow!

Last edited by Musacchia; 10-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.