Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy Trocar Switch

Old 11-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzy Trocar Switch

After hitting, but not killing a buck with the 2016 version of the Dead Ringer Freak Nasty (details on the reviews in this forum), I went looking for a modern fixed blade. After research, I narrowed the list down to 3. Vipertrick, Slick Trick standard or Muzzy Trocar Switch.

The 2017 Dead Ringer Freak nasty included a practice blade head that had 3, 1" blades on an offset. This practice blade hit directly with my field points. Since the configuration of the practice head mimicked the Muzzy Trocar and I could adjust the cutting diameter, I went with the switch. Plan was if the 1" flew great, I could adjust the cutting surface diameter and check the changes. I also liked the concave aerodynamic head on the Switch.

3 heads for $40 with no extra blades + tax. First impression of the head is just how small they are. I did not hesitate to screw one onto my arrow and designate it a practice head. I started with the 1" configuration. This is easily adjustable, by unscrewing the head, dropping the metal collar and pulling the blades in and out, before tightening the collar and broad head down. This 1" head hit directly with my field points back to 60 yards. It does tear up my Rhinehart target a bit more, but on par with the mechanical practice blade. I thought they were easily removable from the target, if you slightly turn the arrow counter clockwise as you are pulling it out. Downside is that I get small pieces of the target lodged between the blades on removal. A small screw driver easily cleans this out between shots, but if your in a rush, this could be a pain. I was so impressed with the accuracy of the 1" setting, I have not yet played around with the additional diameters. I will and report back.

For me these are as accurate as my field tips. Been shooting this head the past week and blades are still in great condition. Even on a shot or two where I missed judged the distance and put it in the dirt. They did exaggerate bad form more then field tips or mechanicals. I occasionally have the habit of not completing a full follow through and pull my head up at the shot to see the flight. This caused a bit of fishtail on the arrow. If I concentrated on the full shot process... perfect. Not sure how easy it will be to replace the blades, but I don't worry about reusing broadheads.

Overall, these will be in my quiver with confidence, for the remainder of the year. I will hopefully report back with some damage information soon.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well how did they perform throughout the season? lol I just picked up a pack of RamCats to try in the off season.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Well how did they perform throughout the season? lol I just picked up a pack of RamCats to try in the off season.
I just picked up some ramcats on sale for $20 tonight.

I'm a little concerned about the blade retention(afraid they will break right off) but I'm gonna give them a try.

As far as the trocars I use the regulars not the switch and I'm not really that impressed with them. I don't believe the blade steal is good enough to get through hide and hair and remain razor sharp. I believe they are pushing vessels and arteries out of the way rather than cutting them. The thunderhead razors I used before trying the trocars seemed to do a much better job remaining sharp after penetrating hair and hide.

I want to go to a carbon steel single bevel 2 blade but man they are proud of those.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

I shot a few of the Ram Cats into the block target and haven't had a problem with blades breaking but the screws do loosen up and will have to be tightened after the shot. From what I have read they designed them to do that. They don't hit exactly like the field points but it was pretty cold and windy when I was trying them out. I'll play with them some more this weekend. Wish our deer season was still in as I am curious how they will act on one. They also seem to penetrate my block target about the same amount as field points.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Spike

The G5 Montec CS were rated number one overall whether fixed or expandaboe. 3- $42