HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Carbon or Aluminum Arrows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/417062-carbon-aluminum-arrows.html)

tcfeet 01-29-2018 04:24 PM

Carbon or Aluminum Arrows?

Never shot aluminum arrows so the question is:
which type shaft is the easier to remove from a target?
I will be using a crossbow.:confused0024:

bronko22000 02-01-2018 06:57 AM

If you're using a layer type target either one will be difficult to remove. But IMO there is no comparison between the two. Carbon is the better of the two hands down. It is tougher than aluminum and they are either good or busted. Aluminum arrows are a pain. They have to constantly be checked for straightness and straightened out. Otherwise they fly all over the place. Not sure but I believe carbon arrow stop oscillating quicker then aluminum ones and their thinner diameter gives you greater penetration.
Get carbons and a bag target that can stop them out of your crossbow.

nathangraham 05-29-2018 07:24 AM

Aluminum arrows will give you a bigger punch but they bend. carbon are faster and liter and don't Bend or break as much. I like carbon for deer and turkey. I might go to aluminum arrows if I was hunting bigger game.

nathangraham 07-01-2018 10:28 AM

Don't limit yourself. I shoot mainly carbons but love to shoot aluminium too. I even shoot some older aluminums from time to time. Like Chris from Under The Open Sky says, you can even use woody arrows - it's just a personal preferences.

Billy02 07-08-2018 10:26 PM

aluminum is not as strong as carbon, so if you are looking for strength i would suggest you go for carbon rather than aluminium.

Nuin 09-09-2018 11:00 AM

I've shot all 3 types of arrows myself, but carbon is a trusted shaft materiel. I must say I love the feeling of wood arrows personally but if I have a choice hunting I'll go carbon.

Bigindian 03-13-2019 12:44 PM

I just upgraded my technology last year after shooting a golden eagle and xx75's for twenty years.

My new bear single cam and carbon shafts all day long.

C.P.O.19 04-16-2019 05:06 AM

I prefer Carbon a lot tougher shaft than aluminum

bronko22000 04-17-2019 06:18 PM

If you want your arrows to be removed easier you can buy a commercial arrow lube made for the purpose of easier removal from layered targets.

mrbb 04-18-2019 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4354976)
If you want your arrows to be removed easier you can buy a commercial arrow lube made for the purpose of easier removal from layered targets.

problem I have found with lubing bolts and arrows is, many times then the targets have a harder time to STOP them,m and then you end up with more fletching damage from them going in too deep
so a double edge sword if you use it!
come out easier, yup, but also goes in easier /farther too!
and last, anyone using aluminum bolts, MAKE sure they are the correct spine for the power of your bow/X bow
and ANY flaw in them, means Time s to stop using them!

Nitehunters.com 09-04-2019 06:09 AM

Carbon arrows are going to be a little tougher.

Phil from Maine 10-11-2020 12:47 AM

I really cannot say that I can agree with everyone saying that carbon arrows are stronger. In fact after last evening I will disagree.. I shot a large doe last evening and my carbon arrow broke up for some reason. It broke in three places upon hitting a large doe. The fletching flew over the top of the deer making me think it was a miss. But after a closer observation I found the shaft to the arrow laying in front of where the deer was standing covered in blood. That created a terrible time tracking her. The broadhead never went in as deep as it should of. This should have been a blow threw but was not.. I was very disappointed with that arrow and maybe it was a defective arrow I don’t know. But I have never had an aluminum arrow break up on impact..

Wingbone 10-11-2020 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine (Post 4382080)
I shot a large doe last evening and my carbon arrow broke up for some reason. It broke in three places upon hitting a large doe.

It doesn't take much of a nick or flaw in the carbon shaft to compromise the integrity of the arrow. They may be stronger, but aluminum is more durable.

mrbb 10-11-2020 06:26 AM

its 50/50 IMO< carbon's big advantage IMO< is they don't bend or maybe should say don't HOLD shape after a bend, nor do they dent, and, there thinner in size, some folks like, some don't!

aluminum arrows been about a long time and have there loyal following, for many reasons, as do carbon

both have pro's and con's
and both can have failures , if damaged inside or out!
its all a matter of what you like IMO
and I wouldn't; say either one is more durable, as they again can both get damaged
if anything IMO< Carbons might take more abuse, there less prone IMO< to slight damages, like dents, and coming out of true!
but again, its pretty close to 50/50 on pro's and con's on both if on was totally honest about things!

CbDoc23 01-02-2022 09:48 PM

Switched to the vector customs this year, best thing i ever did