Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
VORTEX  BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ???? >

VORTEX BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ????

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

VORTEX BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ????

Old 07-19-2002, 07:48 PM

Default VORTEX BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ????

I cannot seem to get any opinions on these heads.... the company has been around a while and I have read good things but Id love to hear what you guys have to say....

Tom

Edited by - eightwgt on 07/19/2002 20:50:20
Old 07-20-2002, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VORTEX BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ????

I tested a 125 grn 2 blade with a 2" cut a while back. It was a very good head, but I feel the vortex heads with cuttin dia. over 1 1/2" should be reserved for those shooting 60 ft/lbs of energy or more.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 07-27-2002, 06:06 PM

I used the 125 gr 2 3/4" broadhead and killed several deer with them.I would agree with the previous post,you need alot of energy to use these heads.The biggest problem I had was the blades make almost a 90 deg. angle and they would catch on the off shoulder and not pass thru.None of the deer shot ran over 50 yards,the large cutting width did massive damage.I was worried about hitting the shoulder blade on entry limiting penetration.Also they tend to kick to one side when shot at extreme quartering angles.I lost one deer because of this.I know one of my hunting buddies shooting about 55 ft/lbs of enegry had one hit square in the shoulder of a large buck and the arrow did not penetrate.I think there are better mechanicals on the market.Most hunters in these parts have switched away from the vortex.

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 07-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the 3 blade 100 grain heads a couple of years ago. I shot a doe at about 14 yards broadside. I ended up shooting her a little high but felt confident in the angle and the large cutting diameter of the head. I shoot a High Country Royal Hunter at 75 pounds, 31" draw length, 3-60 ACC's at about 275 FPS. The arrow combo weighs about 460 grains. Needless to say, this combo has a lot of kinetic energy.

The Result:

I did not get a complete pass through, nor did I recover the deer. I was disappointed in the 3 blade model. I have never used the 2 blade model but have heard there are better results due to the smaller ferrule on the 2 blade. I have used the NAP Spitfires in the past with very good results. I would hve to say I prefer the Spitfires over the Vortex heads.

I take my kids huting so I won't have to hunt for them.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:53 AM

If you decide Vortex is the mechanical to go with DO NOT try any quartering away shots. I had the same results as CAJUNBOWHNTR. Once the blade hit the deer it caused the arrow flip forward and didn't penetrate. I spent 5 hours following the blood trail and ended up shooting the animal again. I was using the 2 blade Vortex 100. I hate to see animals suffer and vowed to shoot fixed broadheads ever since. Try Muzzy 100 4 blade, you'll be a happy camper and won't have to worry about it. If you decide that mechanicals are the only way to go, check the Rocky mountian Synper. 5 Shot gives them high marks and he is the resident broadhead expert.

Edited by - Roland from Calif. on 07/31/2002 12:56:10
Old 07-31-2002, 03:27 PM

I had a friend use them last year and he shoot 3 deer and his blades did not open on any of the shoots.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:48 PM

A hunting buddy of mine swears by them.I have helped him process deer he has shot by them and they open up a nasty hole and do a lot of damage inside.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Spike

Talking

I use the 2 blade 100 grain vortex for the past 2 years and I have shot numerous deer using them and have never had one not open. I made a quartering away shot on a spike buck at 30 yards and had a complete pass thru and only had to trail him 15 yards.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Spike

Talking vortex reviews

I use the 2 blade 100 grain vortex for the past 2 years and I have shot numerous deer using them and have never had one not open. I made a quartering away shot on a spike buck at 30 yards and had a complete pass thru and only had to trail him 15 yards.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a bump that was...

Quick Reply: VORTEX BROADHEADS - REVIEWS ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.