HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Equipment (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/409635-equipment.html)

archman123 10-28-2016 10:18 AM

Equipment

Hey Guys,

I, personally, am an avid hunter and outdoors man. I just love nature and being outside. Anyways, a couple of my buddies and I thought it'd be fun to take some lessons and start using bows on hunting trips. I've done some research, but would gladly appreciate some good advice. If anyone has used bows for hunting before any suggestions would be great. Also, do you guys think I should order from online stores or try to find something local. I get most of my hunting equipment online so I'd figure I'd do the same here. This site I've found to have some good stuff www.archerystrong.com . Do you guys think its a good site? if not, which ones do you use or suggest to order from?

Thanks

mrbb 10-28-2016 01:41 PM

I personally think your WAY better off going to a local bow shop and having them set you up, they will fit a bow to you , which is HUGE and important in archery hunting
next they will allow you to TRY bows to see what you like best, what fits you BEST, and then you will have a relationship building , for when you need any work done till you learn how to do yourself
a BOW is NOT like buying a gun, fit matters a LOT more here, you need to get measured for draw length, too, being new, its a BIG jump start to use a GOOD shop near you, plus can access a indoor range to learn on as well and get instructions on form and what to do.not do!

arrows, broadheads quiver and such, SURE buy online if you like, OR price shop and GIVE the local business the chance to meet your prices or CLOSE, good service down the road can be worth paying a few extra pennys to buy from a local !

JohnnyHildo 11-08-2016 04:59 AM

^ pretty much what he said.
there is no replacement for having the ability to physically be properly measured, to hold and in most cases shoot a bow before you purchase it.

rogerstv 01-03-2017 12:23 PM

X3 on using a local pro shop. Unless you are experienced bow man and have a bow press, you have no business buying a bow online.

Hultage 05-30-2019 11:55 PM

This thread is something useful, not a bad idea to bring it back to life.
The trick is using a combination of thrift stores, buying during the sales and listening to the recommendations from people that you trust. I don't think there is much point in being loyal to just one brand/place to buy your gear. For example, you can compare the jackets of different brands at places where I did. It's the reason why I had the idea to buy myself a "StormKloth Men's Hereford Tweed Jacket" served me quite well. Made out of wool. I read up about it and other at places I trust. Now, to get back to talking about jackets, I really do recommend buying a good wool jacket. My friend saw one good coat for sale recently and bought it immediately because he needed one for the season. He bought an XL but when he put it on, it was more like an XXL which obviously disappointed him. After requesting a return/exchange he received the new L size coat before the 2X had even been picked up. What I am trying to say is - unless you are looking to wear layers underneath-size down as a rule. And as thick as this coat is thanks to it being 100% wool fabric, I don't think anyone will put many layers/undershirts under it. But overall it was worth the wait and money and he were quite happy with his purchase. Fitting is important, invest in it, no matter the brand. Also, as you probably know the sizes of different brands differ.

Hultage 06-03-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hultage (Post 4356471)
This thread is something useful, not a bad idea to bring it back to life.
The trick is using a combination of thrift stores, buying during the sales and listening to the recommendations from people that you trust. I don't think there is much point in being loyal to just one brand/place to buy your gear. For example, you can compare the jackets of different brands at places where I did. It's the reason why I had the idea to buy myself a "StormKloth Men's Hereford Tweed Jacket" served me quite well. Made out of wool. I read up about it and other at places I trust. Now, to get back to talking about jackets, I really do recommend buying a good wool jacket. My friend saw one good coat for sale recently and bought it immediately because he needed one for the season. He bought an XL but when he put it on, it was more like an XXL which obviously disappointed him. After requesting a return/exchange he received the new L size coat before the 2X had even been picked up. What I am trying to say is - unless you are looking to wear layers underneath-size down as a rule. And as thick as this coat is thanks to it being 100% wool fabric, I don't think anyone will put many layers/undershirts under it. But overall it was worth the wait and money and he were quite happy with his purchase. Fitting is important, invest in it, no matter the brand. Also, as you probably know the sizes of different brands differ.

Something came to mind not so recently. that is important and I forgot to mention. As I said I think there are many options to look at, choosing where you want to buy your gear is quite important. Besides Amazon, I sometimes look up my favourite sites like http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-wool-hunting-jackets If I find something worth my money and time I can grab something from craigslist, only if I am sure that the seller is trustworthy of course.

Oldtimr 06-04-2019 02:41 PM

Why are you posting here?

Hultage 06-10-2019 10:15 PM

I beg your pardon, did I do something wrong?

rogerstv 06-26-2019 09:29 AM

You did nothing wrong.

frede12 06-07-2022 05:20 PM

I also prefer local pro shop...