Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Airbow?

Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Airbow?

I'm sure that by now most of yall had at least heard of the new Airbow. It's a pre charged pneumatic air rifle (PCP for those that are familiar with them), that fires a full length, full weight arrow or bolt, using the air power to launch them. According to the specs, if they're honest or close, 450 fps, 8 shots at full power/velocity until the tank needs to be pressurized again, and 2" guarantee at 50 yards. For those of us that are disabled, & have a hard time shooting a conventional long/recurve/compound bow, what do yall think? The tank is supposed to hold a 3,000 psi charge, which means either using the special high pressure manual portable pump, or filling it before the hunt with a special high pressure compressor. They are working to get it legal to hunt with in the different states now. Gimmick or legitimate hunting weapon? Would YOU get 1 if you were disabled?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a bow, it should not be legal ever anywhere. It is a gun that shoots arrows and has no business being involved in archery seasons or any other season.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimr, I understand your position, but if I remember correctly, YEARS ago, in certain states, gun season overlapped with bow season, and to this day, you can bowhunt in modern rifle season, but have to follow all blaze orange requirements when doing so. How would it be unsporting if it were allowed during crossbow or gun season? It surely don't have any range advantage over the better crossbows, has extreme disadvantage compared to modern rifle, and for those of us that cannot physically shoot a bow anymore, or cock a crossbow, I'd think it would be welcomed to permit people back hunting when they thought their hunting days were over. We all need to get less hyped up on small details, and band together o form a united front against those that would take away our firearm and hunting rights. Quit bickering amongst ourselves. The exact same thing was said when the compound bow was invented & went "mainstream", and likely had been said when self contained cartridges was invented or even recurves.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is an airgun that shoots arrows, it is a gimmick, and quite frankly it does not belong in a hunters arsenal in my opinion. A cross bow will do in archery season for the handicapped, which is why they were initially legalized. Calling it an airbow is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has any. Sorry, I do not believe just because someone thinks they found a way to make money there is any obligation to make that gizmo legal for hunting. A line has to be drawn, calling a gun a bow is one of the arras where a line should be drawn. You know as well as I do it won't stop with the handicapped, the crossbow didn't so it should be stopped before it is legal for anyone. Just one more example of the camel's nose getting under the tent.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-01-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:05 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I couldn't agree more, Oldtimr. Benjamin should call it what it really is: Arrowgun.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you oldtimr too here!
its NOT a bow, and anyone that wishes to ONLY use it in say a GUN season
why not just use a real gun? that isn't effected by range and other variables
I think in today's world its all about money, more than providing means to allow
handi cap hunters access again to hunting
we already have a ton of ways for that to happen as is
WHY do we need to keep creating more ways to kill a deer??
there isn't any need, IMO< its about someone making more money! and then trying to force there new invention on to states and its hunters to adapt/accept it!

how many ways must we have to again kill a deer, we have hand guns, of both smokeless powder and black powder< rifles shotguns of both as well, traditional bow, long bow, re curves, compound and cross bow's
do we really need an AIR BOW?
all the more so if even YOU, OP< can state it doesn';t really have any advantages of things we already have

ONLY use I see , or should say maybe bigger use will be for those that are trying to cheat, where there more worried about sound, or those just too lazy to use the things we have now
the actual amount of handi cap hunters that would adapt this I BET, would be very small
and again, we have other means now for those that wish to re enter the hunting world with disabilities!

I say enough is enough, were hunting animals, not super impossible things to kill here??
my 2 cents ?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

looks to me Stalking Bear had his mind made up already and is looking for justification
Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

It's not a bow , no mechanism even close , slide arrow down barrel , pull the trigger , crossbows have cranks I know a few old coal miners here all broke up , with arthritis that still wish they could pull a bow back , but use a cross bow with a crank a child can cock it ... gadgets and gimmicks , just look at some of the clothing that's out way over priced WHY ??? Scent killing clothes BS ozonics BS. Always something like others said to MAKE MONEY and folks can't wait to have it because he said she said and the so called pros said NAH. !!!! Hunting isn't a science and wasn't never meant to be so why try and make it about science Just be a hunter and do as you should scout and scout hard , know your area your hunting , find out as much about the critters your chasing and have fun and enjoy what we've all learned to love HUNTING. Pass IT. ON.