Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Dead Ringer Broadheads

Old 08-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Rock,
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I truly don't see the Thunderhead Razors test. Are you shooting the NAP HellRazor?

I'm actually in total agreement about what might happen with these Mechanicals. But I won't know until I try. No one else had the Forum even had a review on them or anything about penetration. Thought I would be the one to give them a try and report.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
Rock,
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I truly don't see the Thunderhead Razors test. Are you shooting the NAP HellRazor?

I'm actually in total agreement about what might happen with these Mechanicals. But I won't know until I try. No one else had the Forum even had a review on them or anything about penetration. Thought I would be the one to give them a try and report.
Just a misunderstanding I guess. You posted a link to an outdoor life test and the link didn't work so I found what I thought was the link you were trying to show here http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...d-fixed-blade-

I never meant to be rude if that is how you took it.

I'm glad you are testing them. I just hope your test will show what I know is true and show you are giving up a lot of penetration with that kind of broadhead and not just the good things we also know is true (they will leave a hell of a hole)

Penetration is a very big deal that is far too over looked. If we just show the one dimension of this broadhead its going to be a world beater for sure.

Like I said here is what is going to happen.

Its going to leave a hell of a hole(it has 3 huge blades so that is obvious) but that cannot happen without side effects. It is not going to penetrate well at all (it has 3 huge blades so that is obvious)

This is what broadheads are all about......getting that combination correct.........I believe that has long been done in the range of 1" - 1.25" give or take depending on your setup and number of blades.

All these test that only show the big hole are only telling half the story and can be misleading leaving out the part that is MORE important IMO.

A 1" broadhead through the heart/lungs is 100% lethal...a 2" braodhead stuck in the shoulder is not.

This broadhead is better if it goes straight through the lungs no doubt about it.

What I will argue is that you give up something necessary(penetration) to gain something unnecessary(a bigger hole).
Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

100% agreed Rock. Like you mentioned on another post, it seems companies are trying to reinvent the wheel here. I have used everything from hand knapped flint heads (you would be absolutely amazed and surprised at the results I got with them) all the way to the most advanced and super duper mechanical broadheads made. 2 blade to 4 blade, bevel edged and conical tipped to straight and pointed to "bone crusher" tips. One thing always takes first thoughts, that is penetration. And simple physics deems, the more cutting surface you have, the less penetration you will get. You have to find the happy medium between cutting surface and dimension vs. penetration. Absolutely NO ONE is perfect and you will definitely find yourself, over the years of archery, presented with a quartering away shot from an elevated stand. Contact with a rib bone, no matter how heavy or fast your arrow is, can and often will turn your arrow direction a little to a lot. That can direct it towards dead center shoulder or dead center sternum on exit. If you have one of these expandable heads, your chances are much greater of no exit because not only of the larger cutting surface, but also the energy expended for opening.

Through many many years and a whole hell of a lot of big game animals, I have found that a standard 3 or 4 blade 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 with razor sharp edges as well as cut on contact or a very sharply pointed bone crusher type tip is about the best compromise between cutting surface and penetration.

I fell into the mechanical craze for a few years because of the field point accuracy of the heads. After 3 deer that I wouldn't have found if it wasn't for a VERY good tracking dog because of poor penetration (pass through failure with arrow plugging wound dang near eliminating any blood flow) I gave up on them and went back to my standard fixed blades.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I can say that I am pretty much a fixed blade guy. However I have tried mechanicals (Rage 2 blade) and although my experience is limited with the one deer I did take with them I was impressed. I did shoot from a tree stand and had a complete pass through (63# @ 28.5" 420 gr arrow). The blood trail was short and very easy to follow even though the tracking was done by flashlight. Blood everywhere at least a foot wide in most places.
I'll be anxious to see a report on these Dead Ringers - good or bad.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I guess I can say that I am pretty much a fixed blade guy. However I have tried mechanicals (Rage 2 blade) and although my experience is limited with the one deer I did take with them I was impressed. I did shoot from a tree stand and had a complete pass through (63# @ 28.5" 420 gr arrow). The blood trail was short and very easy to follow even though the tracking was done by flashlight. Blood everywhere at least a foot wide in most places.
I'll be anxious to see a report on these Dead Ringers - good or bad.
Just to clarify shooting from a stand doesn't make a pass through less likely. It makes not getting a pass through more of a problem when it does happen as the only wound will be higher on the deer.

Its the broadhead that looks like a 747 that makes a pass through less likely in the event that you hit a shoulder.

Last edited by rockport; 09-02-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Wanted to report back after the season, but I must say my experience was limited. I was able to take one doe early in Michigan's bow season. Deer came in 30 yards broadside and stopped, knowing something was wrong. I was able to get a shot off, but hit a small branch on the way causing me the arrow to deflect forward of the front shoulder. Arrow went passed through the jugular, wind pipe and buried in the ground beyond. Deer was down in 50 yards with an easy bloodtrail. In processing, I would say the broadhead was fully open upon exit and zero damage to the head.

I used the head as a practice for the rest of the season and can say that it flew right with my field tips out to 65 yards. However, I can't say that I gave it a solid test in terms of penetration or really anything else.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

A week ago Sunday I was in the stand when a basket rack 11 point came in broadside at 10 yards. Lots of points, but not a giant rack. The deer had extended neck and pulled his shoulder back to feed. I pull the pin tight behind the shoulder and released the arrow... Kathwacckkkk! The deer spun and took off with the entire arrow sticking out of the impact spot. I was amazed at the lack of penetration and listened for the comforting final crash, but nothing.

No blood at impact or along the trail of flight, even though I could follow his tracks. After a grid search, I finally found blood 150 yards away from the point of impact. Trailed this another 400 yards with pencil eraser sized drops. Deer never laid down and even slowed to a walk.

I am convinced this deer will survive. Given the position of the deer with his head extended an shoulder blades pulled back, I believe I hit the shoulder blade dead center. These broadheads have to open from front to back. Even though they are sharpened on both edges, I believe the head entered the shoulder bone and could not punch though due to the blades trying to open. Essentially, this put on the brakes. Never found the arrow. My fault for hitting the shoulder blade and not compensating for the positioning of the shoulders. This will be my target animal for the remainder of the year, but I am going back to fixed blades.