Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Dead Ringer Broadheads

Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dead Ringer Broadheads

I have been shooting Muzzy 4 blade 100 grains since 2003 with great results. However, had my 70lbs Bowtech Extreme VFT tuned up this summer: IQ 5 pin micro sight, Limbdriver Pro V rest, Victory Elite VAP 350 arrows with blazers and a new quivers due to the smaller diameter arrows. Completed a full walk-back tune to 60 yards and am extremely happy with the performance. For some reason I started looking at the new lineup of broadheads and came across the Dead Ringer line. The Rampage and the Freak Nasty look interesting (marketing not withstanding). Youtube videos were also impressive. Ran a search, but could not find anything here after 2005.

Thought I would see if anyone had some real world experience. If not, may grab a pack, test them and report.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Since no one seemed to have a review in these, I thought it was my turn. I bought a pack of the Dead Ringer Freak Nasty 100 grain broadheads to test out. Package contained 3 broadheads with O rings and 3 additional O rings. First thought was the ferrul is narrower then I my tried and true Muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. Also the Trocar tip appears smaller when side by side to the muzzy's.

Pulled out the reloading scale and verified zero. My field tips all were dead on at 100 grains. First Dead Ringer weighed 102.5 grains, second 102.3 grains and the last broadhead was 101.8 grains. Was hoping for better tolerances and closed to the 100 grain mark. These were weighed with the O rings on. O rings all weighed 1.5 grains by themselves.

Really liked the design being 7/8" in the closed position. Even if you get a broadhead that does not open, it still cuts at 7/8". The fronts are sharpened along with the blades. Sharpness appeared to be on par with the Muzzy's.

I was concerned about the flight as I have yet to get perfect field tip accuracy with any broadhead. Really like how the bow is shooting field tips after the tuneup, so was hoping I could be spot on. Spin test should no wobble. Was concerned about the flight of the arrow more so then the lethality at this point. Therefore, whether or not the broadhead opens and cuts was not my primary concern with the flight test. I am not eating my Rhinehart target. Since the O rings weighed 1.5 grains each, I removed the ring and tied 1.5 grains of dental floss in place of the O ring. Hope was to keep the blades from opening upon impact. Started right off at 30 yards and Almost Robin Hooded one of my field tips. Repeated this at 20 & 40 yards. Got about 5 rounds in before the dental floss was failing and called it quits.

Really liked how they flew and did not notice any POI changes due to the extra weight or changes from my field points. Also was impressed with the hole left in my Rhinehart target, even though the blades are closed. Muzzy 4 blades are 1" diameter. The Dead Ringers are 7/8" closed. Still would have confidence in them if they did not open as long as I do my part.

Bow season in Michigan opens 10/1/2016 and I am in need of meat. Hope to bring back a real world test and post some pictures.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Great review man. I may pick up a pack of these myself. Looking for a head that makes a larger wound channel than my montecs. Ive recovered all my deer with montecs but have not gotten great blood. Did u have to resharpen your deadringers after target shooting or do tbey sell replacement blades?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I believe they sell replacement blades, but have not looked into it. The dental floss kept the blades from opening when they hit the target, so I just have to sharpen the leading edges of the blades when closed. Still feel pretty sharp, but I will run them through a sharpener before launch time.

I like the idea of replacing blades and reusing the head, but my last pack of Muzzy's was bought 6+ years ago and still have heads that I have not shot. Between Muzzleloading, the new 450 bushmaster and the limited time I get to spend in the woods, I am not worried about the cost of broadheads. If they are destroyed during a kill, I'll just buy more. Hope to get some real world test results this fall.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too much cutting surface.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Too much cutting surface.
If it hampers penetration enough that you do not get an exit wound consistently, I 100% agree. On the flip side, I don't need so much penetration that the arrow goes through the deer and sticks 15" deep into the tree beyond. This additional penetration could have been used to push greater cutting surface. Obviously, they first have to be accurate so you can hit the vitals or what is the point.

The action of the blades swinging open will take up energy to accomplish. How much is debated, but IMHO it is there.

I was curious, so I tried to find the cutting surface of your beloved Thunderhead razors, but could not. I only found this test completed by outdoor life about 1 year ago:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...adheads-tested

When you get a spare minute, measure the cutting surface length on one of the blades of your Thunderheads (Hypotenuse of the blade). I am curious to see how the total cutting surface of the Thunderhead compares.

Dead Ringer makes a smaller head called the Rampage, but thought I would give these a try. As you have said previously, the Thunderheads work for you. I am curious to see how these will work and whether or not I will get the exit holes consistently.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 08-25-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
If it hampers penetration enough that you do not get an exit wound consistently, I 100% agree. On the flip side, I don't need so much penetration that the arrow goes through the deer and sticks 15" deep into the tree beyond. This additional penetration could have been used to push greater cutting surface. Obviously, they first have to be accurate so you can hit the vitals or what is the point.

The action of the blades swinging open will take up energy to accomplish. How much is debated, but IMHO it is there.

I was curious, so I tried to find the cutting surface of your beloved Thunderhead razors, but could not. I only found this test completed by outdoor life about 1 year ago:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...adheads-tested

When you get a spare minute, measure the cutting surface length on one of the blades of your Thunderheads (Hypotenuse of the blade). I am curious to see how the total cutting surface of the Thunderhead compares.

Dead Ringer makes a smaller head called the Rampage, but thought I would give these a try. As you have said previously, the Thunderheads work for you. I am curious to see how these will work and whether or not I will get the exit holes consistently.
1 and 1/8 cutting dia. and second best penetration....I'd say my beloved thunderheads are pretty impressive.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Thunderheads more now that they changed the blade locking system. Was never a fan of the old style or any heads where the blades retention is based upon how tightly your arrow is screwed onto the arrow.

1-1/8" is about average cutting diameter, but I would like to see or know more about the penetration you mentioned.

Again, I simply picked up a pack of the Dead Ringers to test for the group and will be interested to see how they preform. Will let you know more after some real world results.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
I like the Thunderheads more now that they changed the blade locking system. Was never a fan of the old style or any heads where the blades retention is based upon how tightly your arrow is screwed onto the arrow.

1-1/8" is about average cutting diameter, but I would like to see or know more about the penetration you mentioned.

Again, I simply picked up a pack of the Dead Ringers to test for the group and will be interested to see how they preform. Will let you know more after some real world results.
The penetration I mentioned came from the outdoor life test you posted didn't it?

I can tell you a lot about those broadheads just by looking at them. They will leave huge holes but struggle to penetrate bone. That is what happens when you stray from a basic broadhead design. If you get through they will work great but they are giving you overkill on your cut and will under perform with penetration. Why is this a big deal? Because if you are shooting from elevation you will all to often end up with a single hole high on the deers body and the blood will fill the chest cavity instead of leaking out on the ground.

Here is what real test results will show.

On a shot straight through the ribs they will work great seeming like some new revelation in broadhead technology(blood everywhere) then somewhere down the line you will hit the far shoulder and see the shortcomings of this type of design when the over sized blades fail to punch through that shoulder you will be grid searching for a deer you hit in the vitals.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally am not a fan of ANY mechanical broadhead. Just something to fail when there are so many other things that can fail. Rock has about the best point about these Dead Ringer Freak Nasty broadheads that you can get. People don't seem to think about the fact that 90% of archers today hunt from elevated stands. If you don't get full penetrating pass through performance, you are more than likely going to be doing grid search for a few hours to find your deer. I've also see WAY too many "glanced" deer from mechanical hits from angles that a fixed blade cut on contact broadhead would have bored right on through. When shooting at a quartering away deer from elevation, you not only have to worry about shoulder penetration, but also sternum penetration and that sternum can be a tough monkey to get through!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.