Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Most lethal broadhead

Old 06-02-2015, 05:31 PM
TOA
Spike

Default Most lethal broadhead

I am curious to see what all you guys think is the deadliest broadhead .I have use fixed three blades, expandables and the toxics by flying arrow archery.In my option the toxic have had the fastest kill times.Does anyone else shoot toxics and how do you like them.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TOA
I am curious to see what all you guys think is the deadliest broadhead
The one that cuts through the vitals. As to "toxins", they are illegal in most places and in my opinion should be illegal in all. No need for them and it is one more thing the antis can use against the hunters.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
The one that cuts through the vitals. As to "toxins", they are illegal in most places and in my opinion should be illegal in all. No need for them and it is one more thing the antis can use against the hunters.
He's talking about a specific type of broadhead that company makes called "Toxics", not one that has poison on it! Here's a picture of what he's talking about. Looks pretty wicked to me!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Toxic's were, when they first came out, considered illegal in Colorado and a couple of other states because they "appeared" to not have an even "cutting plane". I believe the company got that overturned. They actually do have an even "cutting plane" but it appears to not be in SOME photographs. Optical illusion. They do have a wicked look to them. I'm waiting for a little more time in the field and some actual field reports (with pictures) from real hunters and not company flag wavers before I drop $45 bucks on a set and possibly lose a nice deer to faulty tech. For now I'll stick to my tried and true G5's and my Slick Tricks. Never lost a deer yet because of either one of them. As long as I put the BH where it belongs, they do a wonderful job.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
He's talking about a specific type of broadhead that company makes called "Toxics", not one that has poison on it! Here's a picture of what he's talking about. Looks pretty wicked to me!
My bust, I thought maybe he was talking about the poison pods and the only state I know for sure they are legal in is MS. I've never found the Slick Tricks to be wanting as far a broadheads go.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
My bust, I thought maybe he was talking about the poison pods and the only state I know for sure they are legal in is MS. I've never found the Slick Tricks to be wanting as far a broadheads go.
I think you're right as far as MS being the only state that allows poison and it's ridiculous that they do!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA also requires the cutting edges to be on the same plane and those toxics blades are not on the same plane.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimer, looking at that picture I can see why you would think that they aren't but in fact they are. The curvature just appears that way in pictures. All cutting surfaces are at identical distances from each other as well as to the central point of the ferrule which is the definition of "even cutting plane". Being on the same plane doesn't mean a straight cut. There are many curved surface blades out there. This one just takes it to the extreme.

And yep MS allows the use of drug tipped (pods) arrows but the kicker is that the drug Succinylcholine Chloride or Anectine is illegal to possess in Ms! That's what you are supposed to use in the "pods". I too believe that it's a travesty to use that stuff. I couldn't find any other state that allows it on public OR private lands. It seems that Ms has made it illegal by possession of the common drug. But as we all know, things aren't often "common" anymore. I'm sure some idiot out there has come up with a drug that's just as effective to use. Just wonder why they don't just put it on the books as an illegal practice and be done with it. 99 percent of Bowhunters are against the use of poison tipped arrows anyway.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe when MS first allowed poison they were using niccotine sulfate. It is in powdered form and was put on the arow shaft under a latex tube kinda like a condom with no closed end. Upon entry of the arrow the larex would roll up the shaft releasing the powder into the blood stream. The PA Game Commission used nicotine sulfate in darts that were preloaded with different dosages of the powder. The stuff was tricky to use because too little and the animal would not go down, too much and they went 10-7, generally the that were given too little were given another dart, which would over dose them and they would go 10-7 as well. I remember reading about the delievery system when MS legalized poison arrows. I don't believe any wildlife agency used nicotine sulfate any more.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-04-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was in the Army Veterinary Corp from 68-71 down at Fort Bliss we used SC in various doses both in vein or directly into the heart with a bigger needle to put down all the stray dogs and cats that weren't claimed after seven days. It was the lousiest job I've ever had in my life and I had to do it as a part of my MOS under orders from the Officers in charge of the clinic! Here is a video of a kid that happens to be in PA shooting a doe with a Toxic and it was a clean pass through right in the boiler room and the deer went 400 yards. That does not impress me on a shot like that if it went more than 100 yards hit where it was, even though it was a tad low shot from the tree stand he was in! The blood trail was not good and the neighbor finally found it for the kid on the adjacent property!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-04-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.