Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Which bow should i get?

Old 10-12-2003, 09:47 AM

Default Which bow should i get?

I am torn between 2 awesome bows. i am looking at the new Mathews Lx and the Bkack Night by Bowtech. I want speed and quietnss in my bow, and they both have both, so which one to get. The Blacknight shoots 350+fps. annd the Mathews Lx shoots 317+fps. i am willing to put about 1400 dollars into my setup. I have already purchased the bow accessories, but and waiting to get peoples opinions on which bow to get......

Setup:
Copper Johns Dead Nuts 5 pin sight (camo/with afterbuner light)
Sims Enhancer 2000 with 3 modules
Stealth solid limb savers (both bows have solid limbs)
String Leeches
Kwikee 3 arrow quiver
Montec G5 broaheads

Old 10-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which bow should i get?

Both bows are high quality pieces of equipment. If I wasn' t shooting a Bowtech, I' d be shooting an LX.

I assume you mean the high brace BKP? If so, It still will be faster than the LX.

It' s also a bit louder, has a bit more vibe, and a stiffer draw.

You can drop your draw weight a few pounds and still rival the LX in arrow speed, or you can go to a heavier arrow, and get less noise and energy out of the bow for the same speed

With the LX you will have an option of 80% letoff if you like it. Only 65% on the BKP.

Much easier to fine tune your draw length w/ the BKP without throwing the cam out of whack.

New Zebra string on the lX is sub-par IMO. Mathews is using a new BCY fiber and it creeps like a sonofagun. At the shop we' ve replaced nearly all of them w/ Winners Choice.

Shoot ' em both at the specs you desire and choose which is the right bow for you. I would also rccomend taking a look at the Bowtech Extreme VFT, which is much more similar to the LX in every area (less expensive than the LX too)

Old 10-12-2003, 10:23 AM

whichever one feels most comfortable to you , try them both again eventually you will like one better than the other it might be just for something like the color, but pick the one YOU like best, good luck!

Old 10-12-2003, 11:39 AM

JeffB said it all there. I have nothing to add there except that I recently purchased the Extreme after shooting all of them. I looked at the 350 + stuff but the single cam w/o the need to constantly realign the two cams was a hot selling point in my book. As one pro said get the two cam system if you want to have to retune it about once every 3 weeks. Why string creep.

Second reason I bought the Extreme vs. the Matthews was the greater ability to customize it to me! the 1/4 in. increments in draw adjustment are HUGE!! Right JeffB?

Way I figure it you want go wrong with either. One may just be better for you.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sooner

I think 3 weeks is a bit of exaggeration on the part of whomever told you that .

Last year my BKII never required re-synching the cams (when Bowtech was using Winners Choice). This year IIRC my Pro40 DC has required 2 re-synchs: Once at about 100 arrows, and another at about 750 or so. And I played with the cam synch myself on purpose a few times to get the bow to hold steadier for me. With most one-cams I’ll have to re-time the cam at least once. Sometimes twice depending on the string/cable quality. With a quality strings and cables, the wholel “re-tuning every 3 weeks” does not really apply anymore to dual cams. With Winners Choice on them, they are as maintenance-free as any single-cam.

The Infinity cam does allow for minute and easy adjustment of draw length, a great feature. The Dual cams though can be adjusted as minutely albeit with a bit more work. Get the cam w/in ½” of your draw length and then you can play with the string or cable length to fine tune it in very small increments.