Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Favorite arrow?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My favorite

Are ones cheap enough to go good with an intermediate bow.
The price matches up.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
Are ones cheap enough to go good with an intermediate bow.
The price matches up.
Not really. A bow and arrows are two different pieces of archery gear. A bow's primary function is to launch an arrow. Without getting technical about itsome bows do this faster than others. Once the arrow leaves the bow the bow is no longer involved. It's just a launch pad.

There are many different brands of shafts and models within those brands. Some are straighter than others, better spine tolerances, etc. Some are basically intended for hunting and some are basically intended for target work, but they are to a large degree interchangeable.

Better quality usually demands a higher price. There are $200 arrows you may never shoot better than $100 arrows simply because most are better quality than we, as humans, can shoot.

I have some of those $200 arrows (ACC's) and I have less expensive arrows (GT). I shoot the GT's just as well. All were bought for target/3D, but I have hunted with them as well.

Gold Tips are universally accepted as good quality arrows and fairly durable. There is another company called Deer Crossing Archery (DCA) that you might look at. Haven't tried them, but they are inexpensive and get good reviews.

I have never liked Carbon Express, first because they were made in Korea, but now because I think they are way over priced and too many marketing gimmicks. They won't do anything any better than Gold Tips which cost about half as much.

Last edited by BGfisher; 02-23-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I have never liked Carbon Express, first because they were made in Korea, but now because I think they are way over priced and too many marketing gimmicks. They won't do anything any better than Gold Tips which cost about half as much.
I partially disagree with this! Yes they are made in Korea, but I've shot several different arrows and I tend to like Carbon Express arrows and feel they shoot very well with my bow. But the favorite arrow I shoot are Easton's carbon fiber arrows. That is what I primarily use! But it all depends on what you're using them for!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I shoot GoldTips, most recently in the Velocity XT 300's and the Velocity Pro 300's. I run rather fast, aggressive cam binary bows, and the Gold Tip shafts are the perfect marriage of price, durability, and precision.
Gold Tips for me too. IMO you can't beat the price for the quality of shaft you get.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone here shoot GT Velocity XT 400's here? I have some and am not happy with their field performance and would be willing to send them to a new home.

Last edited by SecondChance; 06-27-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Spike

RED 350's. I love them and will always use them. Although They did just come out with the BLU RZ.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Spike

I use Gold Tips too, and have a durability story about them.
I once shot 3 elk with the same Gold tip arrow.
The first one was a bull at 20 yards, in and out between ribs, heard it ting-ting-ting down through the trees behind the bull. Came back the next day and found it just laying out on the ground. Cleaned it up, inspected it for damage and couldn't find any. Put a new Muzzy on it and found that it shot fine.
The next season I shot another bull with that arrow, 16 yards. Bull was on a slope above me, arrow went in between ribs and out through one rib and then stuck into the ground behind it. Cleaned it, inspected, found that it was fine and still shot accurately.
The next season I shot a cow quartering away at 38 yards. Arrow stuck in the far side shoulder and she broke it into 3 pieces during her 80 yard dash.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like the Carbon express arrows as well. Like Archeryelk1 I have one arrow that has been through 4 whitetail. Only needed a fletch job and was just dandy. Still pack it in my quiver and it's marked "Hunt 1". I've had gold tips, eastons, Bemans, and a few others. Just seem to always come back to the PROVEN (by myself on live game) performance of the Carbon Express. I'm not saying that the others are in any way not good arrows, just that for myself and my rigs, the Carbon Express arrows just perform the best.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot GoldTip Velocity XT's. GoldTip makes great arrows for the price. Not to mention their FACT weight system is pretty cool.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll throw another punch for GoldTip XT's, I've been using them for years with no complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.