HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Which odor neutralizer spray? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/39607-odor-neutralizer-spray.html)

loanstarhunter 10-10-2003 08:05 AM

Which odor neutralizer spray?

Which scent eliminator/neutralizer spray do you prefer?

Scent shield
Scent-a-way by H.S. scents
Scent killer
Scent blocker/carbon blast
Stealth dust by scent lok

Do they all contain the same chemical make up?
Does one work differently than the other?

How much scent can any given product eliminate/neutralize? I ask this question because I went on my first hunt Wednesday, and by the time I got to my evening stand and climed the tree I had sweat dripping from every where. How effective are these products under extream conditions?

Danny45 10-10-2003 09:11 AM

RE: Which odor neutralizer spray?

Scent Shield has always been what I used. I think they are all good, but I' m leary of the Carbon Blast stuff. I don' t want black stuff all over me.

You need to wear lighter clothing to your stand and then put on your heavier stuff once you get there. Also, leave early enough to take your time in getting there. This will help you reduce your sweating.

A few years ago, I had some stuff by Robinson Labs. It was a cream deodorant that was absolutely fantastic. I don' t care how much you sweated, you didn' t stink. I was playing in a softball tournament one year and we got done just in time for me to get in an evening hunt. I had my camo with me so I just changed and went hunting. Took a nice doe that came in to within 5 yards of my stand and she never knew I was there. Unfortunately, I haven' t seen that deodorant on the market since. :(

JeramyK 10-10-2003 11:44 AM

I use Scent Sheild products. They work great IMO.

Deleted User 10-10-2003 11:56 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

xibowhunter 10-10-2003 11:59 AM

i' ve used scent shield fall blend in the past , that carbon blast stuff forget it , i still have a half a bottle i got two seasons ago , the nozzle keep clogging ,they sent me a new nozzle and it blew apart (i guess from the pressure) of the nozzle being clogged , this year i got scent killer autumn cause thats what they had , and i wanted to try something new.

TreePhantom 10-10-2003 05:05 PM

I have always used Scent Shield w/ great results. Once I run out, I will try H.S. Earth Scent in combination w/ the Fresh Earth wafers.

RIStrutStopper 10-10-2003 06:57 PM

I had nozzles break on two separate bottles of carbon blast. Gotta get the stuff on before I can tell you how it works... I' ll stick with the hs strut stuff...

TOBY V 10-10-2003 07:15 PM

Scent Shield original all the way for me

bucks4me 10-10-2003 07:24 PM

Had good luck with scent sheild and trying cabin balst this year now. so far had a 4 pt at 10 yards and spike at 10 feet. The spike did spook after looking up at me and takeing four more steps to me. He leaped back to 20 yards then hung around for 20 minutes til dark brouseing. I' m happy with it. Just waitin' for the big deer!;)

Cougar Mag 10-15-2003 05:52 AM

Scent Killer here!

Martin Cougar 10-15-2003 06:18 AM

I' ve also had 2 nozzles of carbon blast break. I' ve dumped the rest into another container and it' s worked fine.

FroMan 10-15-2003 04:41 PM

I always use Scent-Away by Hunter Specialties...I know for a fact that it neutralizes scent, but for how long or to what degree I' m not sure of. I sprayed some of it on my watchband, which smells like butt I might add, and in seconds I couldn' t smell it. Not sure what that would mean to a deer' s nose, but it fooled mine.

Here' s a testimonial of the product...a type of " review."

Scent-A-Way Products
Several years ago I stumbled across the Scent-A-Way product line in a local Wal-Mart store. With my luck, at that time being rated marginal at best, I decided to purchase the products in an attempt to improve the situation.
With mixed emotions and high hopes I used all of the Scent-A-Way products I had that opening morning as per the directions. The products I had were the tall bottle of laundry soap, the odor killing bar of body soap, and the scent killing spray. I couldn' t believe what happened later that morning, even while I watched the events of the day unfold before my very eyes.

After spending a couple hours in my deer stand, I had decided to call it a morning and return later that afternoon. It had been drizzling rain since before daylight that day and everything in the woods, myself included, was wet and soaked. I was a bowhunter looking for his first archery kill, which was six years overdue! With a rifle or shotgun I had put a number of deer in the freezer, but the archery concept just wouldn' t come together.

At any rate, I decided to make a slow stalk back to my truck as the entire area appeared to be an interstate for the deer with about six different intersections within 75 yards of my stand. As I made my way through the woods I realized that the wind was almost directly behind me, which of course, only dampened my spirits even more. None-the-less, I continued my stalk. I got to a point on the trail where I had spooked several does from a thicket during my scouting (pre-season) and decided to stop and survey the area carefully. After a few moments, with the wind now directly at my back, I caught the sight of movement. It was a large doe, feeding on acorns, at 30 yards...and totally clueless to my presence!

I didn' t get too excited too quickly because I really expected her to catch my scent at any moment and disappear in a flash. However, I did begin to slowly prepare for my shot. As the doe slowly fed toward my location, my heart pounded and I couldn' t hardly think straight, but somehow I kept my wits about me enough that I was able to successfully thread my arrow between the trees and bushes to score a double lung hit at 15 paces. As a result of the episode, I suffered the remainder of the day with a terrible headache, probably from my blood pressure shooting sky-high, BUT IT FELT GREAT!

My doe went down within 50 yards of where I shot her and bowhunting has been an addiction ever since. I credit that kill, and countless others since then, to your products! I also credit your company with allowing me to get closer and closer to the deer that I hunt.

But, that was years ago! Each year since then, I have targeted your products as essential gear in my hunting pack. (Notice I said essential, NOT optional). Since that time that I first tried Scent-A-Way, I have watched the Scent Wafers, the Earth Scent Spray, the True Talker Call and many other products hit the shelves. I am very proud to say that I used about 95% of the products that your company markets. I say 95% because I am not sure if Walmart stocks your entire product lines. If they don' t sell them all, they are missing out. It' s just that simple, and I make it a point to tell everybody I see in the sporting good section about your products.

I really get a kick out of those folks that used to be like me--confused. Today as a matter of fact, there were two brothers in the store who were undecided as to what they would need for their first deer hunt. They assured me that they had a likely looking place to hunt, but they didn' t know what they should use. All of your products from your company was in one section, with the exception of the True Talker call. After a brief conversation with these guys, they asked me why I was so successful as a bowhunter and how did I do it? I never said a word, I just started placing your products in his cart. I started just as I do for myself, two bottles of laundry detergent, liquid and bar soap, deodorant, tall bottles of Scent-A-Way (Fresh Earth) spray, talc, scent wafers (acorn, fresh earth, natural pine) and a True Talker call.

One of the guys started to pick up something else from the shelf (not one of your products) and I told him that he might be making a big mistake and that I had already placed everything that he needed in his cart. After a slightly confused expression from the both of them, I just explained how to use the products, displaying each one as I spoke about it. I told them that I don' t know the chemical make-up or contents, but I know all that I needed to--IT WORKS! I started talking about some of my experiences while hunting with the products and got nothing but enthusiastic and hopeful expressions from the both of them.

Hunter' s Specialties has added so much to my hunting by giving me the confidence that has made me the hunter I am today.

Ken Harris
Cowarts, AL

vERN 10-16-2003 09:48 PM

I have had good reults with carbon blast, but have also had problems with the earlier bottle sprayers. I believe they have made some change as I have not had the sprayer clog this season - yet. I also use the Fall Blend on the stand or brush around where I sit. The combo has woked very good. As for it turning things black - it will on blaze orange or white. On camo I haven' t noticed that it bothers that much, but I also will use it on the inside of the lighter colors and blaze. I still have dark spots on my blaze orange coat that don' t wash out - even if they say it will, but don' t care as I wanted " camo" orange anyway.

punt 10-22-2003 08:52 PM

I have used mostly Scent-A-Way and it works really well. I have used Scent Shield and that works good too.

Olink 10-23-2003 11:04 AM

Danny45 - Cabelas sells the Robinson Labs Body Shield Gel. I love that stuff too. Its the best thing out there for keeping BO at bay. Go to the search box at www.cabelas.com and type in ' body shield gel' .

Oh yeah. This is one guy that will NEVER buy any more of that H.S. Scents spray (I' m talking about the regular stuff) that Wal-Mart peddles. It stinks! (meaning it doesn' t work AND it has its own unique odor. I think the deer can smell it. Same color as light pee, too.)

JeramyK 10-23-2003 11:10 AM

I picked up a bottle of Scent-Away this past weekend because I had unknowingly left my ScentShield product at home. It worked out really well. I' m more than happy with the product.

bobcat 10 10-23-2003 04:25 PM

i used scent a way and had deer walk down the same path that i just walked. well i had deer get downwind and never smell me and a bonus to keeping scent in wear rubber boots... helps

i also mixed in scent killer with scent a way and had good luck with it to. and i also wear scent a way deo to.... helps. they are all good in my answer.plus hs scents are cheaper

go deep hunt hard.;)

Deleted User 10-23-2003 06:57 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Tomahog 10-25-2003 02:47 AM

I have recently tried the " Vanishing Hunter" by Buck Fever Synthetics. I shower before each hunt & then mist myself with it before getting dressed. You can even rinse your mouth out with it..... They claim it will prevent odor even if you sweat. I believe it. I have had deer at very close range, downwind and never pick up my scent. I have been using " Scent Killer" on my equipment.

kjclark7 10-25-2003 06:34 AM

i have been using essence of fall the last few years with good success. i' ve gotten real close to deer, within 10 feet upwind and them having idea i was there. i love this stuff. just do a search on essence of fall and you find info on it, i can' t find it in any stores.

kevin