HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Muzzy Phantom Broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/388653-muzzy-phantom-broadheads.html)

DGBowhunter67 01-05-2014 03:35 AM

Muzzy Phantom Broadheads

Hi All,

I am still fairly new to bow hunting, but its safe to say I'm hooked! I saw a friend post a link to these Muzzy Phantom MS Broadheads on facebook, and I thought they looked pretty bad ass.

I have read good things about Muzzy products, but just wondered if anyone had experience using these particular broadheads, as I wouldn't mind picking some up! Or maybe steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

bronko22000 01-05-2014 05:13 AM

The Phantom is a good flying broadhead out of a tuned bow. And the cut on contact design makes it a good choice for even a light draw weight bow. The only complaint I have about them is when shooting them into a 'block' type target. The blades are held in place by a detent on the ferrule and the flat edge at the base of the blade causes the blade to come off when removing from the target.

MZS 01-05-2014 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4113618)
The blades are held in place by a detent on the ferrule and the flat edge at the base of the blade causes the blade to come off when removing from the target.

That would be a deal killer for me. Seems that the more move-able the blades, the more problems. My next broadhead will be a G5 Montec. With single-unit blades like the G5 you have no such problem and they may be resharpened with a flat diamond stone made for this without removing from the arrow. A little pricier, but the fact that you can resharpen yourself fairly easily would make up for it.

bronko22000 01-06-2014 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 4113735)
That would be a deal killer for me. Seems that the more move-able the blades, the more problems. My next broadhead will be a G5 Montec. With single-unit blades like the G5 you have no such problem and they may be resharpened with a flat diamond stone made for this without removing from the arrow. A little pricier, but the fact that you can resharpen yourself fairly easily would make up for it.

I agree. If I would have known that before I bought them I wouldn't have. My Hips target has a couple blades in it from them.

DIY_guy 01-08-2014 09:10 AM

Great heads. I have been using them for years and have never had the issues mentioned above. The bleeders are very sound and dont move one bit. In facct they can be a bit difficult to get off so Im wondering if the commments were really about Phantoms.

bronko22000 01-08-2014 09:25 AM

DIY - Yes the comment were definitely about Phantoms. I have both the 100 and the 125 grain versions. I do like them and they do fly great. I use them for hunting too. The way I go around the issue was to use Magnus Stingers for practice and then hunt with the Muzzys. They have very similar profiles.

DIY_guy 01-09-2014 03:12 AM

Perhaps you got a bad set. Ive been shooting phantoms for more than a decade into some pretty hard targets (and animals) and have never once had an issue with the bleeder blades moving at all (even the slightest bit). I even tested them into OBS hardbaord with no issues at all with the bleeder blades. The blade retention is outstanding.