Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
What are you guys using for practice targets?? >

What are you guys using for practice targets??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What are you guys using for practice targets??

Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run speed bows with 90ft.lbs.+

I have a Hurricane H-28, Hurricane H-25 (same as the H-28, just 25x25" instead of 28" and a Steel Stop bag.

Yellow Jacket didn't stop my arrows. "Classic" Block's don't stop my arrows.

I have a Glen Del Buck and Full Rut Buck, both stop the arrows just fine, perfect penetration, broadheads come out the back, unscrew and pull out the shaft.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
I'd go to either Home Depot or Lowe's, both building supply stores, and get a 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet, cut one into 8 - 2' pieces ( I do that outside the store before taking it in a small vehicle)and tape them with masking tape to your old target. Find out how many they penetrate.
Used to do this with construction waste off insulation from the local Morton Building crew. I quickly found that it was far easier to pull the arrows out of the target, and that the targets lasted far longer if I shot the EDGE of the insulation rather than the face. I used 2x6 boards, all-thread and nuts to compress the insulation, then wrapped with duck tape.

After a few times doing that, I used ratchet straps instead to compress the layers together.

Works just as well with cardboard also.

BUT, here's the bad part.

If you shoot a lot, the insulation isn't very durable. I got to where I could wear out an insulation target in a week while I was in college. Even just shooting my old 80lb recurve, I'd eat up an insulation target in a couple dozen shots with broadheads.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my dead great aunt hold 150 lb bales of compressed newsprint on her head.

what did you go with?