HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   penetration (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/385215-penetration.html)

massman 09-20-2013 12:49 PM

penetration

Ok which broadhead do you think would get more penetration if shot out of the same bow. 63# 30" draw. the nap killzone 2 blade 2" mechanical or the slick trick grizztrick 1 1/4" 4 blade fixed????

mn trucker 09-20-2013 01:59 PM

they both should get plenty of penetration

huntingkidPA 10-16-2013 02:35 PM

t he grizztrick would probably get more. you lose a little energy when the mechanical blades are deploying. you should be able to get pass throughs with both heads.
I bet that grizztrick would blow through a shoulder with out a problem though. Good chance the mechanical might break going thru the shoulder.

bronko22000 10-16-2013 02:55 PM

I would guess the pentration would be fairly equal. I would lean toward the Griztrick. But FYI, draw weight and draw length does not determine KE. It is velocity and weight.

dsotm223 10-16-2013 06:25 PM

Grizztrick most likely. Killzones are good too though. Also draw weight and length do indirectly determine KE higher length and weight will produce.greater velocities which is a contributing factor of KE.

bronko22000 10-18-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dsotm223 (Post 4089775)
Also draw weight and length do indirectly determine KE higher length and weight will produce.greater velocities which is a contributing factor of KE.

Not necessarily dsotm: Agreed yes out of the same bow. But today's bows are far more efficient than the older bows. My new PSE DNA throws the same weight arrow a lot faster than my old Golden Eagle did and with a shorter draw length.

W.IL. BowHunter 11-11-2013 04:33 PM

Ramcats

check you tube video on ramcats penatration against leading broadheads also blades are sharp on the backside incase arrow works its way out and cuts on the way out . They also fly great just my 2 cents

smitty0220 11-12-2013 11:10 AM

Just took my second deer with the killzone. 63#/30" draw. 21 yard shot, blew thru with no problems - died 15 feet from base of stand.

Can't provide any info about the other blade.

SecondChance 11-13-2013 06:36 AM

Don't know anything on the NAP's, but I can tell you first hand about the slick tricks. We hunted elk 3 years ago on Co. and a partner of mine drilled a really nice 5x5 at 27yds, double lung, and you could put your hand in the exit hole!!!!!! He shot him from above down at an angle and it looked like a tile spade was blown through that elk!!!!

Nomercy448 11-13-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by dsotm223 (Post 4089775)
Also draw weight and length do indirectly determine KE higher length and weight will produce.greater velocities which is a contributing factor of KE.

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4089707)
But FYI, draw weight and draw length does not determine KE. It is velocity and weight.

Just a bit of clarification to make here:

Draw weight and draw length, or more accurately, the bow's drawstroke "power curve" or "force curve", determines the Potential Energy stored in the bow. Upon firing, this Potential Energy is converted to Kinetic Energy imparted to the arrow. So yes, draw weight and length DO determine the Kinetic Energy that a bow can put out. But you do need to know the cam factor for the bow.

You can actually determine a bow's relative power (some guys call it cam efficiency, which is wrong), or cam aggression by measuring the draw weight at each inch of a drawstroke, plotting it on a page, cutting out the square of paper, weighing it, then cutting off the area above the curve and weighing that. Most bows fall somewhere between 45-65% of their maximum theoretical potential (peak draw in pounds x draw length minus brace height in feet). More aggressive cams and shorter valley bows usually higher percentage than easier drawing, more forgiving cams. Yes, the release does lose some energy to friction and arrow flexion (and heat and sound), so the drawstroke potential energy is always slightly more than the arrow's KE, but not significantly different. In a direct sense, this means I can take two bow brands, put them on a draw board, NEVER FIRE A SHOT, and tell you which one will be faster with the same arrow.

So in a very real sense, yes, the draw weight and draw length, which determines the Potential Energy stored in the bow, does indeed determine the Kinetic Energy imparted to the arrow.