HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   new to site - need fitted - need new bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/383154-new-site-need-fitted-need-new-bow.html)

zim4par 07-18-2013 08:34 PM

new to site - need fitted - need new bow

Hello Members!

New to the site and have been looking to get some opinions. I have been bowhunting since age 15 (currently age 24). Since then my bow has been a Bowtech Tech 29 that I picked up at a local pawn shop. It has served its purpose and has allowed me to harvest 3 deer, one of which was a decent sized buck. I have been out of the archery world for the last 5 years and trying to get some ideas on what bows I should try first. I know picking out a bow has so much to do with personal preference and feel but what would be some good bows to start with? I have been reading fantastic reviews on the Hoyt Spyder 30 (my friend who is a manager at an archery shop owns one and loves it) He said to get in the shop and we will shoot a few different combinations so I know that is where I will start. A few others I have read on that I thought had good reviews were: Mathews Creed, Mathews Monster Chill. Money is not an issue. I have never actually been "fitted" for a bow and I know that alone will make a huge difference in my enjoyment/commitment with the sport. Anything that's newer is going to be a huge improvement from what I have now (Tech 29 has got to be at least 15 years old). Probably not a huge surprise (since I have never been fitted) but I get a little slap on my left forearm once in a while because the draw is too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update when I shoot a few, Thanks!

P.S. I'm 5'8 185 lbs and currently draw 60 lbs. Plenty of lbs. for me!

Murdy 07-19-2013 04:33 AM

This is long, but it's worth reading:
http://www.huntersfriend.com/compoun...ion_guide.html
I believe they also have some info on their website about a couple different ways of how to measure yourself for a bow.
Good luck.

zim4par 07-19-2013 06:47 AM

Great article, Thanks!

Jbergy 07-20-2013 07:29 PM

The best way to measure is to measure your wing span and then divide it by 2.5 and that will get you close. Always keep in mind the release you will use and how long it is, the length of your d-loop.

zim4par 07-26-2013 07:24 PM

So today I went in with an open mind and wanted to try 3 different bows. The Mathews Creed, Hoyt Spyder30 and Elite Hunter. Remember that this review is coming from a guy that has a 15 year old bow and has not tried ANY other bow since so take it for what its worth. I have heard such great things about Mathews bows and was super excited to get my hands on one finally. The Creed did not even hold a candle to these other 2 bows. To me it was loud (in comparison to these other 2 bows) it had a huge bulky cam that I came not to likeing the more I looked at it in person as well as the bow being very front heavy with no stabilizer. The bow had no valley in comparison as well. Not trying to give Mathews a bad name, just was not a fan of the Creed and havent even tried any of there other bows. I REALLY liked the Hoyt and Elite. I am giving the Hoyt another half a star over the elite just because the elite was a tad heavier at address but still a great shooting, beautiful bow. Going to think it over some more over the weekend but looks like its not going to be a contest at this point. Team Hoyt! Very excited to get it decked out and customized by a buddy that manages our local shop in town. Photos soon to follow!

Jbergy 08-03-2013 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by zim4par (Post 4069181)
So today I went in with an open mind and wanted to try 3 different bows. The Mathews Creed, Hoyt Spyder30 and Elite Hunter. Remember that this review is coming from a guy that has a 15 year old bow and has not tried ANY other bow since so take it for what its worth. I have heard such great things about Mathews bows and was super excited to get my hands on one finally. The Creed did not even hold a candle to these other 2 bows. To me it was loud (in comparison to these other 2 bows) it had a huge bulky cam that I came not to likeing the more I looked at it in person as well as the bow being very front heavy with no stabilizer. The bow had no valley in comparison as well. Not trying to give Mathews a bad name, just was not a fan of the Creed and havent even tried any of there other bows. I REALLY liked the Hoyt and Elite. I am giving the Hoyt another half a star over the elite just because the elite was a tad heavier at address but still a great shooting, beautiful bow. Going to think it over some more over the weekend but looks like its not going to be a contest at this point. Team Hoyt! Very excited to get it decked out and customized by a buddy that manages our local shop in town. Photos soon to follow!

Keep in mind the warranty program. Elite has a full lifetime transferable warranty therefore makes it easier to resell and they also have a loaner program for when you break your bow during hunting season they will loan you a bow until yours gets fixed this way you don't have stop hunting. Especially if your on a once in lifetime trip. I'm not aware of anything for Hoyt and the heavyness of the elite will keep your shot more balanced and you will hold steadier. Just a thought!

zim4par 08-08-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jbergy (Post 4070784)
Keep in mind the warranty program. Elite has a full lifetime transferable warranty therefore makes it easier to resell and they also have a loaner program for when you break your bow during hunting season they will loan you a bow until yours gets fixed this way you don't have stop hunting. Especially if your on a once in lifetime trip. I'm not aware of anything for Hoyt and the heavyness of the elite will keep your shot more balanced and you will hold steadier. Just a thought!

I hear ya, a little more cash flow and I would love to make it my second bow. Thanks for the input!

bronko22000 08-10-2013 05:18 PM

zim you're not alone in not liking Matthews bows. I've tried them and also do not like the way they feel. I went to a shop this past February because I had an itch for a new bow. They had Matthews, Hoyt, Elite, Bowtech and PSE. After shooting all their top line bows, I settled on the PSE Dream Season DNA. Speed wise this bow blew the others out of the water. And it felt good in may hands and the draw cycle is very nice. My second choice would have been the Hoyt Spyder. This was also a nice bow and was just a bit lighter than the DNA.
As for getting fitted, any shop worth its salt can fit you up.