Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 fixed or pendelum sights >

fixed or pendelum sights

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

fixed or pendelum sights

Old 09-23-2003, 02:17 PM

Default fixed or pendelum sights

I have been thinking about switching from fixed pin sights to the pendelum sights. I have talked to several bow hunters and have a mixed reveiw on the pendelum sights. I would like to hear some of the pros and cons from the experts. Please help me with this !
Old 09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fixed or pendelum sights

It is my opinion that pendulum sights can lead to poor shooting form. I think that is what they are supposed to correct.

Use good form and a fixed pin. My $.02
Old 09-23-2003, 02:26 PM

mlaubner , another thing that I was thinking about is that judgeing the distance part of the fun to me. I enjoy sitting in the stand trying to guess the distance to a tree or what ever. But I was just wondering if the change would be a change for the good.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM

Before you buy anything if you have a chance to try a red dot scope I think a lot of people would like them. I have shot one for 10 years and now all the guys but one at camp shot with them. The only draw backs are 1- they add some weight 2- you have to remember to turn it on and off. You can tell in a hart beat if you have bad form or are shaking. I know this is not what you were looking for but if you can take a look at one.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Wolf Dog , thanks for the info. I have not bought anything yet , that is why I want to get all of the info that I can. I will take a look at this sight.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:59 AM

bearlot,
I have used a pendelum for 8 years, first a Keller now a Preditor IV. I also own a fixed pin Tru Glow sight for ground shooting and off season target practice. For me I do 99.9% of my deer hunting 20ft. up in a tree pendelums are the way to go. One pin dead on from 0-37yards. As for poor form, lots of people have bad form but if you hunt from an elevated stand form is one thing you need to watch fixed or pendelum sight.... As for + and - Pendelums have yardage limitations and ground shooting limitations (not a big deal if your hunting up in a tree). Fixed pins can give some pin confusion but that can be fixed by useing one pin set at around 25yards...... The choice is up to you, I would buy a pendelum to play with. Try the Preditor IV or a Savage.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot fixed and pendulum sights in the past.I shot a kellar for a few years and liked the sight.It was very accurate and reliable.I switched back to a fiber optic fixed pin sight a couple of years ago.The speed and flat shooting arrows of todays bows have made the distance judgeing easier.I went to the pendelum to eliminate using multible pins,my last two bow set ups will shoot one pin out to thirty yards.I' ve only shot one deer in 15 years of bow hunting over twenty yards away.So I had no need for the pendelum at that distance.Also the fiber optic was much better for low light.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Bearlot,
I also enjoy guessing ranges, but I always verify them with a laser rangefinder.
I feel as though you are more limited as to how and where you can shoot your bow effectively.
I also own a fixed pin Tru Glow sight for ground shooting and off season target practice.
I would just prefer to use one set-up and build confidence in it.
But it is really a matter of personal choice.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a savage Pendulum QC Ranger one pin to shoot out to 70 yds just by clicking now you can have your pendulum and range your trees too. http://www.savagearchery.com/newproducts.html
Old 09-24-2003, 07:51 PM

I use the Preditor IV with a Timberline No Peep. The Preditor is the dove-tail mount style which allows me to have a second Preditor bracket set up with ground pins instead of the pendalum. The dove-tail mount allows " quick release" type changing of the sights with no adverse effects on settings. The best of both worlds, practice on the ground with pins and hunting from my tree stands.

The Timberline No Peep" forces" you to use consistant form (especially helpful from the tree stand) and gets rid of low light problems associated with a standard peep sight. I did my final sighting in from the tree stand todayand am now ready for next Wednesday' s season opener.

Quick Reply: fixed or pendelum sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.