HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   $$$$broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/38003-broadheads.html)

Wolf Dog 09-22-2003 10:31 AM

$$$$broadheads

The hunting season for deer in Mi. is coming fast; I have seen a lot of people talking about the price of broadheads. I think they are very cheep compared to all the other gear like bows, arrows, camo, tree stands, sights, rests, and all the other stuff that we by for hunting. I would like to say that I would pay $30-$35-$40-$45 for a broadhead that was reliable shot great and cut the animal open like no buddy’s business. I don’t make a lot of money and I don’t try to through it away but I look at a broadhead as the final say in you hunting trip and compared to everything else $30 and up I think is cheep for top notch stuff. How much is too much? What are the best broads?

Danny45 09-22-2003 10:52 AM

RE: $$$$broadheads

I' ve shot alot of broadheads. Some were jokes that never should have been produced. I still get a kick out of serrated broadheads and other goofy designs, like one of my first broadheads that had a spiral built into it (supposedly so it could corkscrew thru the animal) that are just plain inefficient. If it rips, it doesn' t cut, and doesn' t penetrate. I want something that' s gonna cut all the way through.

I shot Cabela' s broadheads for awhile because they were very close in design of the Thunderheads and a little cheaper. But, like you, I' m more willing to pay a premium price for quality stuff. That' s why I shoot nothing but Thunderhead 100' s. They are accurate, sharp, and that chisel point will bust some bone if need be. But, it all boils down to personal preference.

BobCo19-65 09-22-2003 11:20 AM

I can see some of your point wolf dog. But what I think what a lot of people mean by expensive broadheads are expensive broadheads as opposed to standard broadheads that they know will work and seem to set the standard for pricing. For example, I kind of look at prices as comared to muzzy or magnus. Now there are some of the new two and four bladed cut on contacts that can cost up to probably $40 or more for six. I know that I can get a set of Magnus, that will cut just as well for $20. So is the price worth it? Not for a person on a budget. Are the new blades that much better to justify a $20 increase? Not IMO. Same thing with Muzzy, I know they work and fly well, so why would I spend more on a broadhead then what I pay for Muzzy?

I don' t and can' t really compare the price of broadheads to other equipment, the are dissimilar items.

6ptsika 09-22-2003 11:42 AM

I don' t spend much on the high dollar bows, even using a <$300 entry level bow from just about any company will let me shoot accurately enough to hit a deer at a much farther distance than I feel the deer will still be there when the arrow hits.
Same goes for most of my equipment, but I won' t skimp on arrows and broadheads. I shoot whatever shoots the best for me, and I feel the most confident in, and don' t even look at the price. They' re what gets the job done.
Trying to save a few bucks on a broadhead is just silly, IMO

BobCo19-65 09-22-2003 12:11 PM

They' re what gets the job done
I believe it' s the archer that gets the job done, by putting the arrow in the right place.

Wolf Dog 09-22-2003 02:46 PM

Bobco 19-65
How can you say that? I know and you know there are some very poor broadheads on the market, and with the best shot and the best conditions the broadhead might or might not function. This results in wounded game and poor hunting ethics. All I was wondering about is? Now that we are in the year 2003 with all the modern technology out there why do people think 30 + $ is too much for the latest and greatest stuff. I personally think this holds back manufactures from getting wild. I live in Michigan look at the cars being made and look how much better they run and look at the prices. Hell people pay more for beer and piss it away. Understand I DON”T want the prices to go up, but if we as hunters want wild state of the art stuff we have to pay for it! Or we can dust off the old whitetail2 bow and fiberglass arrows with the old bear tip and go HUNTING.

BobCo19-65 09-23-2003 07:20 AM

I guess my statement may have been a bit to general to get my point across.

What I was seeing from this thread was a positive correlation between quality and price of broadheads which I feel is not reality. Now if you were talking about just using quality broadheads for bowhunting, I' d agree 100%. By all means use quality broadheads. But quality heads are not necessarily represented by price. In fact, some of the best heads out there are also the cheapest. There are also some very expensive heads out there that are pure junk. An archer can not assume that the more he spends on broadheads, the more he will get in quality. Now if an archer cannot afford the most expensive (not necessarily quality) heads, should he be in the woods hunting, of course he should, because there are some very cheap excellent quality heads out there available. But no matter what head he is using he needs to put the arrow in the right place, the archer himself is what gets the job done no matter equipment he uses.

Let me give you an example of two quality heads that are very different in price. I have used Magnus Heads a lot and still do on my Parker Feather Mag II compound. I can practice with the same dozen blades all year, and then use the same heads for hunting in the fall (after sharpening them). Very few would disagree that these are some of the best penetrating heads on the market, and I can honestly shoot 2-2 1/2 inch groups with them at 30 yards (my limit on hunting whitetails). I paid all of $40 for these heads (dozen). And I believe that these are the cheapest heads on the market. To note, these heads have a lifetime warranty on them. Are they the newest, shiniest, most popular, most marketed heads out there - no. Now let’s put them up against some of the new titanium cut on contact heads out there. I saw them in the Cabelas catalog at 3 for $37. Now that’s $148 per dozen. Now are you honestly going to tell me that if I put either head through both lungs (which I am 100% sure as an archer that I can do) that it' s going to make a difference which one I use? So does spending $108 dollars more really make sense? Would I be " silly" to not spend a few extra bucks?

Now let me explain what I meant when I said that the archer does the work. It is the archer that must know what is able to kill within his limitations (including equipment, ability, etc.). It is the archer that is directly responsible for taking the game. As such, he is the one as an archer and hunter who should get the most credit for the kill. But, he must know his hunting skills and capabilities. He must know the deer’s anatomy as well as other things such as trailing. The archer must make choices of his hunting equipment based on his budget. If he finds that he is not capable of spending the money on the high end, then he must know what is available to him on the low end. He must be informed on what is quality and what is not quality and make choices appropriately. Like I tried to show in my example I guarantee that there is equipment out there that is not expensive that will work and kill game quickly and humanly. Going out and spending as much as he can assuming that the more he spends on his equipment the better the quality he will get is not reality.

BobCo

6ptsika 09-23-2003 08:32 AM

Shoot Muzzy' s and forget about it.
:D

Wolf Dog 09-23-2003 02:00 PM

BobCo19-65

I think you are right on the money. Your statements are very true, I just laugh at the guys that brag about there $1000.00 arrow splitter and cry about $30.00+ pack of broadheads. Your message is great and I like to see more people hunt and get started with whatever they can get there hands on, and hit the target with it regardless of age and price. I always like to try new stuff and I hope somewhere down the line new wild ideas that are not conventional enter the market, instead of everyone making 10 versions of the same thing that’s all.

I hope you have great success this hunting season WD

BobCo19-65 09-23-2003 02:17 PM

6ptsika, I think you and a lot others could do that and be happy for the rest of their days as hunters.

wolf-dog, There are always cry babys out there whose mouths engage before their brains, and I see your point.

Good luck to you also, and show us the Pics when you connect!!!