HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   New Bow - New company (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/378730-new-bow-new-company.html)

bronko22000 02-04-2013 05:25 PM

New Bow - New company

I've been a dedicated Martin bow owner for about 6 years now. And I still own 3 of them. But today I went to a new bow shop. I spent about 2 1/2 hours there shooting new bows from Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite and PSE. After all was said and done I ended up walking out of the shop with a brand new PSE DNA. The bow was very smooth drawing, felt great in my hand, and was extremely fast. The chrony show 316 fps when set at 65# and 28" draw with a 330 gr arrow. And that was shooting thru a whisker biscuit. I figure that with my 400 gr arrows and drop away rest I should still be shooting 300 fps.
Report to follow after I get it all tuned up and sighted in.

Chopayne 02-05-2013 03:09 AM

Can't wait to hear, im thinking about buying a DNA

bronko22000 02-05-2013 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chopayne (Post 4034172)
Can't wait to hear, im thinking about buying a DNA

I got the rest and sights on today. Its going to be a while before I get a full report out on it. I want to take a day or so just shooting it in the basement into my bag target to get comfortable with the new feel. It shouldn't be too hard to tune and is probably pretty close just from eyeballing. PSE puts alignment marks on the riser for centershot and rest height which should get a person really close from the start.
Once I have my 20 yd pin set I will do some walk back tuning then broadhead tuning.
Maybe Friday or Saturday I will be all done. Would be sooner but I have this thing called a job that gets in the way of all my fun.

aarontriton 02-06-2013 02:17 PM

i also shot the dna very nice bow. i ended up ordering a hoyt
spyder turbo. it just fit me better. it just show that you need to shoot several bows. i went to the shop with the intent of buying a bowtech experience. and although nice the turbo felt better imo.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

bronko22000 02-06-2013 03:59 PM

Took the DNA out today and sighted in the 20 yd pin. After shooting a bit more to make sure it was good to go. I went in and got warmed up and have a coffee. I went back out and felt a lot more confident now that I had my first pin sighted in. At 20 yds I got rock steady and shot 3 arrows at the center target dot. Big mistake. Ended up busting 1 nock and one nock/arrow (almost a robin hood) - all 3 arrows touching.
Can't wait to get out to 40 and 50 yds.

bronko22000 02-07-2013 12:51 PM

Here are the true figures for the PSE Dream Season DNA as I have it set up.
Draw length 28.5", Draw weight 61.5#
Arrow Wt Speed KE
400 gr 287 fps 73.2
360 gr 302 fps 72.9
319 gr 317 fps 71.2
There is some noticable noise difference betweent he 400 gr and 319 gr arrows but nothing between the 400 and the 360. And the difference in KE between these 2 is minimal. The 15 fps though may make a difference in mi-sestimated range. Probably going to go with the 360 grainers. I fear the 319s may be too hard on the bow even though they are within the recommended weight range.

HDMontana 02-08-2013 08:18 AM

bronco, say it isn't so. We Martin shooters have to stay together.:hit: Seriously though, congrats on the new bow. I have not had a chance to hold one of those yet. Have you seen that Martin has split limb bows in there line-up this year. I played around with one of their inexpensive ones and it shot pretty good. We have not gotten the higher end ones in the sporting goods store I work at part time yet so waiting to see how they feel. We did start carrying Strothers this year. They definitely look nice but I have yet to try one. They just showed up a few days ago. HD.

bronko22000 02-08-2013 08:36 AM

Not to worry HD - I still have 3 Martins. I will never part with my Firecat/Alien Hybrid. (Firecat riser - Alien limbs and cams). That bow is a sweetheart. The Onza 3 Pro I may decide to sell. If I do decide, someone will get a great bow at a good price.
But the speed and accuracy I am getting with the PSE along with the nice feel and lack of vibration (like the Martins) is a tough combo to beat. I thought it was all advertising hype until I actually shot it.

Chopayne 02-20-2013 02:18 AM

Do you have pics of your DNA? whats the setup youre running?

bronko22000 02-22-2013 04:47 PM

Chopayne its a 2013 PSE Dream Season DNA. Set at 28.5" draw, 61.5# draw weight, NAP Apache drop away rest, TruGlo 5 pin Extreme sight. I am shooting Gold Tip 5575 shafts with 100 gr tip and 2" Blazer vanes.
I've been playing with the draw stop position though after calling the shop where I got it. If set up IAW the manual the valley is very short. Any creep at all and it wants to jump forward on you. They recommended moving the draw stop out one position to eliminate this. It does feel like an entirely different bow when you do this.
I can't wait until the weather warms up so I can do some serious shooting. There are no indoor ranges close to me. But even so, I like to practice at 40, 50 and even 70 yds. It makes those 20 yard shots seem so easy.