HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Big Game Stagger Steps,VERY BAD (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/375234-big-game-stagger-steps-very-bad.html)

jasonschroeder629 11-12-2012 01:13 PM

Big Game Stagger Steps,VERY BAD

Do not buy the big game stagger steps, I was hunting down in Missouri and on my very first attempt at a sit, I had the top section's strap pop off the rail and I fell 20' and fractured my T12 vertebrae and broke my wrist. After contacting the company, they offered me a replacement section, no thanks, I just left Gander Mountain and got an in store credit for the lowest sale price. I did not have on a lineman's belt but am very disappointed that I couldn't even get my money back for these pieces of junk (no receipt, bought 2 weeks ago). Very poor design and someone is going to get hurt worse than me. Not only was the my first trip out of state ruined, but it is going to really be a struggle to convince my wife that it is safe to go up another tree. Don't make the same mistake I did, seriously.

switchbackFF10 11-12-2012 05:33 PM

Do they have a cam buckle on em? I don't trust anything with a cam buckle...that's why I went with the Muddy sticks

jasonschroeder629 11-13-2012 12:56 PM

yeah just the buckle, but I dont think that is the problem although it probably doesn't help, it is their clip system that is the dangerous part.

Valentine 11-19-2012 03:24 AM

Never got to into steps for hunting

When I climb a tree, the climbing stand goes with me. And leaves with me when I go down. I pay the one time price of hauling in and out the 21 pounds.

Did the step climbing of oil tanks, without safety devices, when I was young. Only feet and hands for safety devices. A different time.

biggametreestand22 11-20-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jasonschroeder629 (Post 4004051)
Do not buy the big game stagger steps, I was hunting down in Missouri and on my very first attempt at a sit, I had the top section's strap pop off the rail and I fell 20' and fractured my T12 vertebrae and broke my wrist. After contacting the company, they offered me a replacement section, no thanks, I just left Gander Mountain and got an in store credit for the lowest sale price. I did not have on a lineman's belt but am very disappointed that I couldn't even get my money back for these pieces of junk (no receipt, bought 2 weeks ago). Very poor design and someone is going to get hurt worse than me. Not only was the my first trip out of state ruined, but it is going to really be a struggle to convince my wife that it is safe to go up another tree. Don't make the same mistake I did, seriously.

Did you by chance put the metal clip in upside down cause the bottom is flat. I did that once but the I caught myself I was only about 5 or 6 feet off the ground so it would of hurt a little if I did fall but that was my fault they work perfect for me if I don't put the clips in upside down.

itsslow98 11-20-2013 11:35 PM

Convince your wife you need to buy a safety harness and not be hard headed! Luckily you were able to walk in the store at all.

Valentine 12-20-2013 04:16 AM

Never quite understood steps

I always carried a climbing tree stand and was done with the problem of climbing and weight. Just did it, in and out.

Are these climbing steps used because they weigh less; a person doesn't walk far in the woods; is a little out of shape and wants to spread out the carry weight; doesn't want his tree stand stolen; doesn't like to move around a lot hunting deer.

And I never had the desire to watch a 265 lb. football lineman climb one. Many they say hold 300 pounds.