Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Deer food plots?

Old 09-15-2003, 04:20 PM

Default Deer food plots?

What product works the best for getting deer and keeping them in your area? I am in northern WI and the plots will be 60 acres deep in the woods with atv and foot the only way to get there. I was thinking of the new secret spot or no-plow by imperial.Thank you.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Deer food plots?

If money isnt a factor get BioLogic. Mossy Oak seems to make the best product and i have had much success with it in the past. Deer seem to love it and its not bad for turkeys either. The New Zealand blend works great!
Hope i could help.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:33 PM

hondaman,
We have a fourty west of Antigo( between Antigo & Merril). Just planted a 1/4 acre plot 6 weeks ago(begining of the drought). Planted Bio-logics clover & Maximum ( Brassica). The plot is growing, but not as well as expected with out rain. However the maximum in our exclusion gage is 8" - 10" tall the rest of the field is eaten to about 1" -2" tall. Opening day I seen several deer in the field at the end of shooting. We are not hunting the field but I had to see if they were there. [>:]If you do a soil test, lime and fertalize my money is on the Bio-Logic. And they are not supose to like this stuff until a good frost. We already have plans to increase the plot size.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:11 PM

I am not sure about the growth rates or compatibility of this in your northern climate (check their website) but I HEARTILY recommend Tecamate Max Attract 50/50. We leave several acres of standing corn in various plots and bush hog it throughout the season and without question THAT is the finest attractant available (its not baiting either as its " an accepted farming practice" , but IMO is no different. I wish my state would just go ahead and legalize baiting!) But we have used the various Mossy Oak mixtures and while they somewhat worked, the deer NOTICABLY utilize the 50/50 plots much better. And they get better as the season progresses and other food sources start to deminish.

Good luck,
RA
Old 09-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hondaman,

I just ordered a bag of the secret spot and plan on planting it on Tuesday of this week. I will let you know how it works out for me.

This is my first food plot. So there is not telling what kind of results I will get.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:50 AM

In Michigan we planted 6 different fields with all the top seed BUCK FORAGE OATS is the best. We have deer all the time and I only have a 40. The end of the summer was hard on all the plots because the lack of rain. I have very sandy soil to or almost all sand, very fast draining. PH at 7 feed the plot with 6-24-24 and it is great!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 PM

Just put in Secret Plot about 2 weeks ago. We were lucky and got rain the first week and germination occurred within the first week. Will let you know how effective the plots in another couple of weeks. Our season starts Oct. 1.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:15 PM

thank you for your info.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:38 PM

I planted that Secret Spot last Tuesday. I can' t wait to see if the deer are using it when I get out there again. I don' t know how long it is suppost to take to start growing.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:47 AM

Hondaman,
Do your self a favor and invest the time and money into a soil test. Then, fertilize or lime the area of the intended food plot(s) accordingly!
Secondly, i would recommend that you plant several different varieties. Your goal should be to attact and hold the deer, escpecially during bow season and/or rifle season and to supplement the deer herds diet. I made the mistake of planting only two varieties last year and it cost me severely by November. The deer had moved onto GREENER fields. This year I planted six different varieties. First, Cow Peas. The deer are absolutely going nuts over them right now! Second, Winter Wheat. The deer are now starting to utilize the wheat and should be very good within the next week or so. Wheat is very inexpensive and is great for a harvest plot. Third, Pennington' s Rack Master. Used it last year and the deer mowed it over for several months (not using it yet). Fourth, Rye. Fairly young and not using yet...should be good in November. Fifth, Buck Forage Oats. Read all the hype and hope it performs like they say it does. Saw a BIG BUCK in it last night (he' s the first and hopefully not the last). Lastly, Brassica. Never planted it before, but have heard that deer love it. It appears that the deer are eating it as we speak!
Good luck in you' re food plot building expeditions and I hope the hard work pays off!! Everytime I see a deer eating in one of my plots I get a warm fuzzy feeling. It' s awesome to sit back and watch!

Quick Reply: Deer food plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.