HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/373009-broadheads.html)

ERM1212011 09-25-2012 08:03 AM

broadheads

Need some help choosing broadheads to use this season. Went with the rage last year, but the stories i hear about them, opening to early/not opening/breaking when they hit a rib/etc., dont know whether or not to trust them or not. Thinking about going muzzys, but not sure.

bronko22000 09-25-2012 12:20 PM

Muzzys are a good head but I've seen a few times where they did not fly the same as field tips. I am talking of the Muzzys with the trocar tip. The Muzzy Phanthoms fly terrific. Now you didn't say what your set up is. But IMO, if you want a good quality fixed blade, you can't go wrong with the Slick Trick Viper Trick. Its strong, sharp, and flies true.
Another good blade is the Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut. Both of these fly great but aren't as durable as the Slick Tricks. The Muzzy Phanthoms can come apart in a foam target when pulled out because of their design.
So those are my 3 choices for a fixed blade. Phanthom, Stinger, or Viper Trick

edmehlig 09-25-2012 01:09 PM

While I have not tried them myself I've read a lot of good reviews on the Slick Trick Magnum broadheads both in Accuracy and holes they put in deer.

huntingkidPA 09-25-2012 02:01 PM

if your looking for a mechanical there has been on brand ive kept my eye on but never bought. i think i will next year. There called EPEK broadheads. They are a 3 blade piston driven expandable. But what i think the neat thing is is that you can lock the blades so they don't open when they hit a target and you can shoot your broadheads all year long. You will know exactly how they fly with out having to dull any.

HDMontana 09-28-2012 03:23 AM

Chalk another vote up for slick tricks. I have been using them for about 4 years and am happy with the results.

frogfurr 09-29-2012 06:13 PM

I have tried a bunch of different broad heads. Trick standards are the most accurate that I have tried.

dhunter4life 09-29-2012 07:03 PM

I dont know why they bother to make anything other than the slick trick magnum , in the last 30+ years I have tried a bunch of them , I finally gave up on mech. when two out of the 6 rage heads I tried broke a blade off ,, if I shoot 2 deer this year I will have 130 deer with a bow , and the tricks are the best I have found , I hunt NC, Ga , Sc and Va every year , and tricks have never failed to deliver

bronko22000 10-05-2012 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dhunter4life (Post 3984565)
I dont know why they bother to make anything other than the slick trick magnum , in the last 30+ years I have tried a bunch of them , I finally gave up on mech. when two out of the 6 rage heads I tried broke a blade off ,, if I shoot 2 deer this year I will have 130 deer with a bow , and the tricks are the best I have found , I hunt NC, Ga , Sc and Va every year , and tricks have never failed to deliver

hunter - granted the ST mags are great heads no doubt. But you can get the same performance with lighter bows using the ST Viper Trick. These don't have as flat a cutting angle as the ST Mag or std STs. The vipers are more streamlined allowing for easier penetration and a better possibility for pass through with the lighter bows. But it is a Slick Trick through and through with the same excellent flight and strength.