HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Am I shooting correct arrow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/368645-am-i-shooting-correct-arrow.html)

NEBRbruiser 08-15-2012 12:53 PM

Am I shooting correct arrow?

I'm fairly new to the bow world and have a question after reading a bunch of threads about arrow weight. I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix set at about 58lbs and last year I purchased some Gold Tip Ultralight arrows. After messing around on their website they have these in the Target shooting category. I love how flat these shoot compared to my heavier cabelas arrows but are they actually what I should be shooting or not? My top pin is good out to 30 yards and thats really nice for me. Cabelas arrows I have to drop down to my second pin at 30 yards. I have a 28in arrow length. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BGfisher 08-16-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser (Post 3960767)
I'm fairly new to the bow world and have a question after reading a bunch of threads about arrow weight. I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix set at about 58lbs and last year I purchased some Gold Tip Ultralight arrows. After messing around on their website they have these in the Target shooting category. I love how flat these shoot compared to my heavier cabelas arrows but are they actually what I should be shooting or not? My top pin is good out to 30 yards and thats really nice for me. Cabelas arrows I have to drop down to my second pin at 30 yards. I have a 28in arrow length. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You don't say which spine UL arrows you're shooting. Did you work them up using Gold Tip's Build Your Own Arrow feature or have you weighed them? What's the weight of them?

For 58# you should have a minimum arrow weight of 290 grains for recommended safety and warranty concerns. That means the shaft, fletching, nock, point, insert----the completed arrow. If your arrows are the proper spine then most likely they are heavy enough.

NEBRbruiser 08-17-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by BGfisher (Post 3961107)
You don't say which spine UL arrows you're shooting. Did you work them up using Gold Tip's Build Your Own Arrow feature or have you weighed them? What's the weight of them?

For 58# you should have a minimum arrow weight of 290 grains for recommended safety and warranty concerns. That means the shaft, fletching, nock, point, insert----the completed arrow. If your arrows are the proper spine then most likely they are heavy enough.

Thanks BG. I am shooting the 400 spine arrow and I believe they are 7.4 gpi? Which would put arrow weight at 207 and then plus everything else. I'm shooting 100 grain broadhead. So I should be over 320 grain total weight pretty easy correct? If so, I should be fine. I really like how these babies fly and cant wait to actually shoot something with them. Thanks again.