HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   west nile virus/insect spray? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/35943-west-nile-virus-insect-spray.html)

nntramp 08-24-2003 11:22 AM

west nile virus/insect spray?

What do you recommend for skeeter repellent during the early season. West Nile Virus is all over Nebraska, and it is reccommended to wear bug spray this year, but I dont want to blow a hunt because of it. Any Ideas?

jerseyhunter 08-24-2003 04:36 PM

RE: west nile virus

Permethrine- use on clothing only

PABowhntr 08-25-2003 06:48 AM

RE: west nile virus

Though I have not yet experimented with it, the " No Stinkin' Bugs" brand of repellant is now in my hunting cabinet. It supposedly works well in terms of repelling several biting insects and yet has no odor. I will be using it, as an experiment, during a scouting trip or two before the season starts and can report more then.

benhuntin 08-25-2003 09:04 AM

RE: west nile virus/insect spray?

The " No Stinkin Bugs" mosquito spray with earth scent works pretty good but this year I' ll be using my thermocell. No noticable odor and repels mosquitos up to 7' away in all directions. (15ft. diameter). I tested it out in the most mosquito infested florida swamp near my home and it worked fantastic.The only draw back of the thermocell is it basically costs about $6 for every twelve hours of use.

Mykey 08-25-2003 09:22 AM

Shannons bug tamer treated with Duranon!

kimndavid 08-28-2003 06:55 PM

permithrine spray won' t do much good for mosquitoes it' s made for ticks.
If youre gonna use spray it needs to be have deet , but even that isn' t 100% effective. Use spray with a bug suit. A better option would probably be a thermacell...I' ve heard some good reports...;)

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->

loanstarhunter 08-31-2003 10:23 AM

Never heard of this " thermacell" !

Where can one find it?

jerseyhunter 08-31-2003 05:37 PM

kimndavid- to tell you the truth I rely mostly on my clothes and headnet to keep mosquitoes away I use the permethrin mainly for ticks, but it says right on the can that it is for ticks and mosquitoes and Iv' e never really had a problem. You are right about the deet, though it does tend to smell some. Thats why I use the Permethrin. You can use the deet on your skin and the permethrin on your clothes to be well protected.

bobcat 10 09-01-2003 08:37 AM

scent shield no stickin bugs, love it.

micdundee 09-02-2003 07:40 AM

I just bought some. Its called " Repel" . It has an earth scent to it. And it is supposed to repel, black flies, ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, etc.