Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Tree stands

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default Summit Tree stands

Does any one use summit tree stands. Are they as noise as they used to be.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Spike

I had a 2006 model Summit Viper and it was a pretty nice stand. Very comfortable and easy to climb with. I thought it was noisy when walking through brush or if something metal or plastic bumped it. I ended up selling it in 2009 and bought a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. It isn't as comfortable as the summit, but I think it's better everywhere else. Much quieter, quicker to set up and climb, flat backpacking. Also, I don't notice the noise my old summit had while walking through brush. IMO the LW is a much better stand.

I don't know anything about the newer summit stands than my old 2006 model. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Spike

I have 3 climbers. The first one I got was about 20 years ago. Nothing like the other 2. The newer ones are much quieter and easier on your butt!! Very easy to setup.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a lot of climbers over the years, Summit included. Remember th old Baker stands? Some can make more noise than others, but there are ways of reducing it. Filling aluminum tubing with Great Stuff foam is one way. Another is, especially with the Summits, to grind down the teeth about 1/8" and round off the corners as they do dig into the tree quite well. Especially soft bark trees.

For the most part I've learned that there are not very many stands that are really noisy. Just people who make them noisy. I see all the time people saying that they can reach 20' with such and such stand in a matter of 5 minutes. All I can think is that in doing so every critter within a half mile knows they are there.

Learn what makes noise with a certain stand and do what you can to dampen it. Then when in the woods take your time and be quiet both installing it on the tree and climbing. What's the difference whether it takes another 10 minutes or so? You're most likely going to be there for hours anyway. This just one other matter where learning to be stealthy is part of the hunt.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought a Summit Viper SS a few years ago figuring I would use it in an out of state hunt and never needed it. It sat in the basement and I decided to finally give it a try on a recent trip to Il. In short I love it and can't wait to use it here in my home state next year. My only other experience with a climber was of course the Baker back in the old days. I remember feeling like it was ripping my guts out on every climb and I was one of the few who never fell with it. The only good was it made my abs stronger. Now the Summit...what a dream to climb with. It is quiet, fast, secure and simple to use without any strain. It is so comfortable I was able to sit all day in it and it is light and packs easily so hunting with it on your back is easy. It does make a bit of noise when on your back and walking through the brush but going slow and picking the route will help. I give it an A+ and wish I had tried it out sooner.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own two summit climbers and never noticed them being noisy. I'd trade both of them for a lone wolf though. While the summit is much more comfortable, the LW packs and climbs easier.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit all the way. i have owned and used most but the Summit is the all around best stand.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Spike

Check out this new tree stand.

www.hytektreestands.com
Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

BGfisher wrote: "I've used a lot of climbers over the years, Summit included. Remember th old Baker stands? Some can make more noise than others, but there are ways of reducing it. Filling aluminum tubing with Great Stuff foam is one way. Another is, especially with the Summits, to grind down the teeth about 1/8" and round off the corners as they do dig into the tree quite well. Especially soft bark trees."

I have tried the same on my summit and love it even more!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Spike

Summit is a good stand, but they just don't seem as stout as they were in the past..... I guess if you're going to make em lighter they're going to look a little weaker. Still a good stand nonetheless. If I'm comfortable, all is well and depending on what model you get they are a generally comfortable stand.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.