Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Safety Harness tether length issue >

Safety Harness tether length issue

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Safety Harness tether length issue

Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Spike

Default Safety Harness tether length issue

Hello,
I'm kinda new to tree climber type hunting. My wife bought me a HSS safety vest (the reversible one). I did a test climb up/target shoot in the tree I plan to hunt from and I found that the tether connecting me to the tree strap is too short to comfortably draw back on a right angled shot. Is there a method for lengthening it? In order to make a practice shot I had to run my draw arm over the tether at a steep angle and under the tether for a longer shot. That's just not going to work.
There are several folds in the harness for shock absorption. How detrimental would it be to remove one or two of the three folds?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Do not remove any of the folds in the harness it will ruin it what i do is usually put the harness strap as high in the tree as possible so that when you sit down the tether strap is taught this will let you draw in almost any position. One guy that i hunt with sets his tether at his waist level when standing and that works best for him. I say just mess around with placement on the tree until you find something that works for you but if you cut the tether folds you might as well throw the vest in the trash it will not do you any good if you were to fall.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with 8 Tines. The strap connecting you to the tree is always going to be an issue but it is less of an issue than bouncing off the ground. Just for me I like some taught tension on my harness when I sit down. I have no problem shooting to either side.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, harness tether isn't the issue, just lower your tree strap. I don't use the one the comes with the HSS vests, instead option for the prussic system that they sell. The prussic system has a longer rope for around the tree, and you can adjust it infinitely to suit you best. I set mine so that when I sit down, there is just a little bit of slack in the tether from my vest. You can do this in the yard just with a chair sitting on the ground to get a feel for where you want your tree strap in relation to your height, like say you put the strap 6" above your eyes, or something like that.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YooperMike
As others have said, harness tether isn't the issue, just lower your tree strap. I don't use the one the comes with the HSS vests, instead option for the prussic system that they sell. The prussic system has a longer rope for around the tree, and you can adjust it infinitely to suit you best. I set mine so that when I sit down, there is just a little bit of slack in the tether from my vest. You can do this in the yard just with a chair sitting on the ground to get a feel for where you want your tree strap in relation to your height, like say you put the strap 6" above your eyes, or something like that.
X2....In addition, if I am hunting a couple of stands that have heavy cover, I tie in another 2 feet of 10mm climbing rope at the end of the loop, this way I can lean out and around the limbs for better shot placement.

Move to a rope with a prussic knot, you climb faster and the rope, IMO, makes much less noise when it rubs against the tree bark.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Spike

I have the same issue with my HSS vest. If I raise it above eye level, I can't sit down. What about adding some length with rope or something ?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Spike

Good replies thank you.
I like the rope prussic idea. Ill have to look that up.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone ever figured out

how much in shape you have to be, to use all this stuff ?????
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Spike

Is round in shape?

I tried most of the things mentioned till I found something that worked, and also use a prussic type climbing belt for support when I lean out to shoot.