HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   New to Bow Hunting, Recommendations? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/349938-new-bow-hunting-recommendations.html)

Chadro77 09-18-2011 09:46 AM

New to Bow Hunting, Recommendations?

Well guys now that I live in a state that has a fairly short gun season and a very long bow season, I'm wanting to start bow hunting.

I'm not wanting to break the bank, just a fairly good bow to use a couple of seasons until I get thoroughly proficient. I've searched for other threads and haven't located a good archery store close by yet so I figured I'd get so recommendations from you guys.

I have a wing span of 76 1/2 so I need a pretty long draw length I'm assuming. Any help/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

**I also have no issues with buying used, I'm just not familiar enough to say whats a bargain and whats a rip off. Also, I have permission to hunt some private land this year but I probably won't be doing much stand hunting if that matters.

louie6014 09-19-2011 06:34 AM

Find a reputable bow shop, get your draw length set, and figure out what weight draw ya want. Starting off you dont need a 70# draw, I get total pass-threws with 58#... Bear bow packages are ok, I started with one, for the money it did its job, but Im not too impressed with the quaility. Ide go and shoot bows somewhere till one "feels right" is the best way to explain it. Lots of packages out there for 300-400 bucks. Ide get a descent release (50-80 bucks) I like most of the scott releases. Youll save yourself some headaches by goin to a bow shop, and Im not a fan of buying used bows...

MISwampDog 09-20-2011 07:39 AM

Like the above post said figure out your draw length. Your wing span is not an accurate way to measure your draw length. I have very long arms and have a 29.5 inch draw. I would look at bows from Bear Archery and Diamond Archery. Both make great entry level bows for an affordable price. Get an entry level bow and then upgrade if you want later. Buying a used bow can be tricky. You don't know how the person handled the bow before you get it. If you can afford a new entry level bow do it. That way you know what the bow has been through. Find a true archery pro shop. Bass pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain may have people that know what they are doing but it has been my experience that they don't. Find a place that specializes in archery. Those people have to make a living on their knowledge. Half ass knowledge doesn't make for a sound living. Just a thought. Good luck and I hope you bag a big one.

laughts31 09-20-2011 02:53 PM

Good advice above. definatly let a professional get there hands on you for fitting. Your Draw length should not be a problem if you are looking entry level equipment, as most entry level stuff will have adjustable cams. All you need to do is stay to your price range, and go shoot the bows with in that range, it is all about feel and comfort, if you feel good shooting the bow you will shoot it well. no matter the looks or name on it. Talk with the pro shop guys and they will tell you what sights, rests etc will go well with your set up. I would make a very good recomendation and that is to choose a wisker biscuit for your first rest, total containment at very reasonable prices. I am a mathews man but they can get pricey. But mathews has an affordable line called mathews mission, check it out!

Maddog10 09-22-2011 09:03 PM

I'm in the same boat as you Chadro. Long bow season and short gun season has got me looking for a bow this year. Now since I'm new and haven't been around the block like these guys have you may take my advice with a grain of salt, but I don't think used is a bad way to go as long as you examine the bow carefully and are able to shoot it a bit. I've looked at some new entry level packages, and then looked at some "ready to hunt" setups that are higher end bows in the same price range, just a couple years old. I'm actually going tomorrow to look at a Mathews Q2 which from my understanding was one of Mathews best bows a few years back that is set up ready to hunt for $300. The guy said it's in great shape, he was just ready to update. If it's as nice as he says I plan on getting it, and feel that it is probably a better bargain than a new "lower end" setup.

olfatguy 09-23-2011 09:28 PM

Find a pro shop, if you don't have friends to fall back on. There is a lot involved in setting up a bow properly, especially your first one.

As for a used bow, there's nothing wrong with going that route if you know what you are looking at. Just remember, just because it's set up to hunt, doesn't mean it's set up for you.

fishtaconc 09-24-2011 04:18 AM

First step is find your local pro shop, they can measure your draw, also you shoot some different bows at different draw weights. There isn't anything wrong with a used bow, if the seller is up and up, they will be willing to meet you at said pro shop and have it checked out. There are lots of used bows with people upgrading to newer models, no matter the name it will come down to what feels best to you.