Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme? >

Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Spike

Default Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme?

Hey guys, Im new to the forum, so im sure this is probably a popular question but ill just make a new thread to help myself out. I am considering retiring my '05 Mathews Outback for the new stuff. I am obvioulsy looking at both the Z7 and the Z7 Xtreme. I am about 6' 2 1/2" and have a 29 in draw length. I hunt primarily from a tree stand so I am interested in the shorter Xtreme but I dont want to cut my own foot off if I decied to hunt from the ground some as well, so I am looking at the original and slightly longer Z7.

Is the Xtreme to short of a bow for my height and draw length? and what can I expect from it compared to the origonal, all my friends shoot the original. Just want to know if ill be out shooting them accuracy wise with a bow that fits me, not too worried about speed here.

Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the longer more forgiving bow.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't shot the Extreme, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Z7. I was use to a 36" bow (Mathews LX) and was a little nervous about the shorter Z7, but it is quite a bow. You won't be sorry!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Switchback model, and was thinking of up-grading as well to the new Z7. But it look's like this will happen next year.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Spike

I bought the Z7 Extreme two weeks ago and dont have a bad thing to say about it. Although it is short, it is extremely accurate. I was shooting good patterns at 60 yards over the weekend. It is very quite and I would definetly recommend it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

I just looked at both bows. I would go with the Z7. Both bows are very short axel to axel. Both have a very forgiving brace height at 7 and 7 3/8. With the Z7 you will shoot a lil faster. Both bows will fit your draw length. Basically you are talking a differnece in two inches in length and 3/8 difference in brace height. You are splitting hairs here between the two bows. Shoot em both and see which one you like better. Basically the same bow.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Spike

Ended up buying the Z7 Xtreme. just had to spend the day shooting the 2 at the shop, and it just boiled down the the mobility of the Xtreme, the both shot awesome. I am very pleased and i shoot very well with it, extremely stable and light. Thanks for all the input!
Attached Thumbnails Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme?-img00150-20110918-1459.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on your purchase - i've never shot the Z7 extreme but love my z7. I'm guessing that there really isn't a ton difference between the two and you would be happy with either - going with the one that felt better to you was the best choice imo.