HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/349586-mathews-z7-z7-xtreme.html)

laughts31 09-11-2011 12:37 PM

Mathews Z7 or Z7 Xtreme?

Hey guys, Im new to the forum, so im sure this is probably a popular question but ill just make a new thread to help myself out. I am considering retiring my '05 Mathews Outback for the new stuff. I am obvioulsy looking at both the Z7 and the Z7 Xtreme. I am about 6' 2 1/2" and have a 29 in draw length. I hunt primarily from a tree stand so I am interested in the shorter Xtreme but I dont want to cut my own foot off if I decied to hunt from the ground some as well, so I am looking at the original and slightly longer Z7.

Is the Xtreme to short of a bow for my height and draw length? and what can I expect from it compared to the origonal, all my friends shoot the original. Just want to know if ill be out shooting them accuracy wise with a bow that fits me, not too worried about speed here.

Thanks!!

Bernie P. 09-12-2011 05:25 AM

I would go with the longer more forgiving bow.

lovethebigguns 09-13-2011 02:08 AM

I haven't shot the Extreme, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Z7. I was use to a 36" bow (Mathews LX) and was a little nervous about the shorter Z7, but it is quite a bow. You won't be sorry!

maytom 09-15-2011 03:28 AM

I have the Switchback model, and was thinking of up-grading as well to the new Z7. But it look's like this will happen next year.

jkoch89 09-20-2011 03:15 AM

I bought the Z7 Extreme two weeks ago and dont have a bad thing to say about it. Although it is short, it is extremely accurate. I was shooting good patterns at 60 yards over the weekend. It is very quite and I would definetly recommend it.

MISwampDog 09-20-2011 07:29 AM

I just looked at both bows. I would go with the Z7. Both bows are very short axel to axel. Both have a very forgiving brace height at 7 and 7 3/8. With the Z7 you will shoot a lil faster. Both bows will fit your draw length. Basically you are talking a differnece in two inches in length and 3/8 difference in brace height. You are splitting hairs here between the two bows. Shoot em both and see which one you like better. Basically the same bow.

laughts31 09-20-2011 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ended up buying the Z7 Xtreme. just had to spend the day shooting the 2 at the shop, and it just boiled down the the mobility of the Xtreme, the both shot awesome. I am very pleased and i shoot very well with it, extremely stable and light. Thanks for all the input!

Boogeyman24 09-21-2011 06:22 AM

congrats on your purchase - i've never shot the Z7 extreme but love my z7. I'm guessing that there really isn't a ton difference between the two and you would be happy with either - going with the one that felt better to you was the best choice imo.