Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Beginner question

Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Beginner question

Hi guys
I am bow hunting for the first time this fall and have 2 spots setup. My questions are do you have to sharpen broadheads (using rage 40KE) right out of package? My season starts on sept. 10th and I have one more treestand to put up, do you think it is too late, will I spook the deer out of the area?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you put out a trail cam to see when deer are moving? Normally I would try to put my stands up 3-4 weeks prior to the season. But you should still be OK if you go in the middle of the day. And after you put up your stand, spray everything down good with some type of scent eliminator. Including the tree trunk/steps.
Look at it this way, if a deer is going to notice your stand when its empty, it sure as heck will notice you in it - right. Make sure you have something behind you to break up your outline. With my current set up, I have a big oak 4' in front of me to break up my outline. In another I have a lot of leafy branches in front and behind me and my stand is just above a big fork in the tree.
Also be sure to wear a matching camo. (i.e.: light camo in a white oak or maple or a darker pattern in a red or black oak)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Broadheads should be just fine straigt out the package.
Unless you bought it from clearance and can be +1 year old. Then. Ight use a light touch up.
As for the tree stand, sooner the better,
Usually best 3-4 prior to season.
But putting it up now you should be good by end of septmeber.
Hunt your first stand early, then use this stand later.
As other stated put it up when minimal movement is out, and block that scent.
Epecting rain, purt it up just before it rains to help wash out some of the scent.