Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Safety Harness

Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default Safety Harness

Will be replacing my old safety chest strap with a new body harness soon. I have been checking them out online and am looking real hard at the Rescue One CDS, any comments on this unit from people that use it. Also wondering if it can be worn under a heavier coat in cold temps, my friend has a HSS that he can wear under a coat and he just runs the tether strap up and out of the coat by his collar.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Spike

I unfortunately don't have any first hand experience with the Rescue One harness, but I do with the HSS. I can tell you that it's top notch and I've grown to actually depend on it with my hunting outfit, love the pockets and stuff on the front... really helps carry stuff.

Sorry I couldn't help more with the Rescue One harness..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Dont know if this will help cause Im not sure what all types of hunting your doing. But I tried on a few the other day and went with HSS lite.
heres a link to what i thought of them http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunt...-hss-lite.html
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Spike

I both bow and gun hunt for whitetails and temps can range from middle 80's to -25 by late season. I use Summit climbing stands and ladder stands when I need to get up in trees. I saw on North American Whitetail show last night that they were useing the Rescue One harness. The doctor that invented the harness talks about people dying from loss of blood circulation if you hang for an extended period of time from a regular harness so I thought I would see if anyone had any experiance with it.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am also looking for a new harness. Personally I think the Rescue One is overkill if you think about it. I could see if during your fall you got knocked out and the controlled decent was automatic. But lets face it, with any good harness you should be able to turn around to face the tree and either get back on your stand or onto your steps.
I've been looking at the Gorilla harness for a few reasons. 1. it is a harness (no panels - just straps.) 2. the thigh straps are wide and padded. 3. Quick snap buckles (easy on/off). 4. a long 30" tether strap for mobility in the stand.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I watched the video of the Dr. falling and then descending to the ground in a very controlled manor. Looks like a nice way to get back to the ground if all else fails.

I’m sure that if you wear any harness correctly then 99% of the incidents can simply be corrected but what if always crosses my mind… I’m sure this control decent feature would come in really handy if you found you couldn’t reach your stand, injured one of your arms, can’t reach your cell phone, etc… I know I wouldn’t want to be stuck suspended in a tree in the middle of nowhere. I suppose if you could get to a knife you could cut the tether and just fall if that’s your last option and a chance I would probably take if I had to.

I think having the Rescue One eliminates a lot of if’s if you can afford it… I may look into getting one. I bought one since my other Safety Harnesses where very cumbersome and I was starting to feel like I didn’t want to wear them anymore not good.

On sale at this link… they knocked off $34.00 plus through in a linesmen, and extra rope. Shipped it was 150.00
http://www.mountaineer-sports.com
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to take fall arrest and rope rescue courses once a year as part of my job training. Theres a lot that can go wrong when you fall even if your harness does do its job.

During our last course we had to go down and pick another person off the side of the tower and repell the rest of the way down with them attached to your harness.The lady in front of me was the victim and I was doing the rescue.

She went over the side and I was getting rigged up to go down and do the pick off, Doesnt take more than two minutes to get set up and get over the edge.By the time I got to the side she was complaining of light headedness and her legs tingling, by the time I got to her it got pretty realistic as she was had passed outI picked her off her line and took her to the ground where she came to.This was wearing a very expensive model of rescue harness.Her mistake was getting the leg straps to tight, hanging there it screwed with her circulation and caused her to pass out when she started to freak out.

If you think about it two minutes isnt very long when you just fell, probably banged into something in the process, and are trying to figure out how to get down with no help.Its even harder from a tree because the only way you have to go is back up with most harnesses, doesnt sound hard and it looks easy in videos but if you cant get ahold of something solid its not easy at all.

Im not going to write a novel or anything here but during these training courses I have seen cheap harnesses fail, knots come undone, etc.... and this was in a contolled, supervised enviroment with someone else there if things go wrong.

Make sure whatever harness you decide on fits you, to loose or to tight is bad.Make sure whatever you tether yourself to the tree with isnt to long, the further you fall the harder you stop, and the lower it puts you from anything you might use to get back up or down with.And honestly at work I would never climb without a knife in a accessible location, sometimes the only way out is to cut your strap and try to make a gracefull landing.Sounds bad but its preferable to hanging 15 ft in the air and passing out in a real bad spot.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by petasux
I have to take fall arrest and rope rescue courses once a year as part of my job training. Theres a lot that can go wrong when you fall even if your harness does do its job.

During our last course we had to go down and pick another person off the side of the tower and repell the rest of the way down with them attached to your harness.The lady in front of me was the victim and I was doing the rescue.

She went over the side and I was getting rigged up to go down and do the pick off, Doesnt take more than two minutes to get set up and get over the edge.By the time I got to the side she was complaining of light headedness and her legs tingling, by the time I got to her it got pretty realistic as she was had passed outI picked her off her line and took her to the ground where she came to.This was wearing a very expensive model of rescue harness.Her mistake was getting the leg straps to tight, hanging there it screwed with her circulation and caused her to pass out when she started to freak out.

If you think about it two minutes isnt very long when you just fell, probably banged into something in the process, and are trying to figure out how to get down with no help.Its even harder from a tree because the only way you have to go is back up with most harnesses, doesnt sound hard and it looks easy in videos but if you cant get ahold of something solid its not easy at all.

Im not going to write a novel or anything here but during these training courses I have seen cheap harnesses fail, knots come undone, etc.... and this was in a contolled, supervised enviroment with someone else there if things go wrong.

Make sure whatever harness you decide on fits you, to loose or to tight is bad.Make sure whatever you tether yourself to the tree with isnt to long, the further you fall the harder you stop, and the lower it puts you from anything you might use to get back up or down with.And honestly at work I would never climb without a knife in a accessible location, sometimes the only way out is to cut your strap and try to make a gracefull landing.Sounds bad but its preferable to hanging 15 ft in the air and passing out in a real bad spot.
I couldn't agree more. Glad you were able to get her to the ground safely. I bet that was pretty scary for her.

I wonder if some people are more prone to suspension trauma then others?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more. Glad you were able to get her to the ground safely. I bet that was pretty scary for her.

I wonder if some people are more prone to suspension trauma then others?
She was pretty rattled, she thanked me later.

I dont know about more prone to it, I know some medical conditions will make you more prone to passing out faster but I dont know enough to give advice on that end of things.I do know a lot of it is how you land and how long you hang there.

The old safety belts that just went around your waist were death traps, if you wound up upside down and unable to get ahold of anything you pass out quickly.Some of the harnesses have eyes up high between your shoulder and ones down lower at waist level.If you use the lower ones you might be wind up in trouble for the same reason.All of your straps, shoulder and leg should be tight but you should still be able to get a couple fingers in between the strap and your body.Ideally what you tether yourself to the tree with shouldnt let you fall lower than the platform of your stand, it may be the only thing you can get ahold of to pull yourself back up.Even if you cant free yourself completely if you can take the pressure off your legs and chest you wont pass out.

And the knife thing is very real, not only for you but if you run across someone else in trouble you may need to cut you or them down.People fail to realize that a 200 lb man dangling on the end of a line makes it pretty much impossible to get enough leverage to take the pressure off and release the harness manually.

Dont get me wrong, Im not preaching, and generally speaking self rescue can be done fairly easily if you can get ahold of the stand, tree, a step, or the ladder.For some reason though we still wind up with people dying from fairly short falls that shouldnt kill them.Its these rare occasions when everything goes terribly wrong that you should cut anyone including yourself loose and only if nothing else is possible.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

You know, its been I long time since I went through a hunters safety course (1994) I wonder if today they show any videos explaining the real dangers of suspension trauma. If they don’t I think they should. More and more people around my state are taking to bow hunting because the season runs from Oct 1-Dec 1 then reopens around Dec 18-Jan 10 (that’s close anyway)

I think a 30-45 min video should cover it without promoting any one single safety harness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.