HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Grim Reaper Whitetail Special? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/348345-grim-reaper-whitetail-special.html)

xGREENx 08-18-2011 04:08 PM

Grim Reaper Whitetail Special?

I have used grim reaper razortips for a couple years now, but the new Whitetail specials have caught my eye with their 2" cut. I am thinking about going out picking up a pack, but first i would like to hear people opinions on them.

Thanks in advance

SecondChance 08-18-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by xGREENx (Post 3836045)
I have used grim reaper razortips for a couple years now, but the new Whitetail specials have caught my eye with their 2" cut. I am thinking about going out picking up a pack, but first i would like to hear people opinions on them.

Thanks in advance

With haveing taken bear, over 38 deer and hogs with the 100grn 1-3/8ths and not lost or tracked one over 125yds, I feel the 2 inch cut is a tad too much to push/cut through for these and will take away on their entry energy. My .02 cents. I REALLY like the GR's and haveing used both RazorTips and Cuts, I lean towards the Tips over the Cuts. I like the smashing of the Trocar Tip impeeded.

xGREENx 08-19-2011 02:53 PM

Yea the pass through power was my biggest worry as well. I have had a pass through on all my animals with the traditional grim reaper and I was hoping i would have the power to go through with a bigger blade and if I do there worth a shot. Just don't know if Its worth trying them with the unknown factor of pass through ability. As for the tip I completly agree with razor tip over razorcuts

thanks for the reply

kateraxl2381 08-19-2011 10:43 PM

I use the razortips 1 3/8" cut usually, but I tried the Whitetail Specials last year and in my honest opinion I couldn't see that much difference(the WS did have a bigger cut but didn't get clean pass throughs as the regular razortips have done for me). They both did the job, however the WS's blades bent after shooting a deer, when the regular razortips I could kill multiple deer with the same blades. Can't go wrong either way though, both great broadheads!

SecondChance 09-04-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kateraxl2381 (Post 3836589)
I use the razortips 1 3/8" cut usually, but I tried the Whitetail Specials last year and in my honest opinion I couldn't see that much difference(the WS did have a bigger cut but didn't get clean pass throughs as the regular razortips have done for me). They both did the job, however the WS's blades bent after shooting a deer, when the regular razortips I could kill multiple deer with the same blades. Can't go wrong either way though, both great broadheads!

Have you ever sharpened your blades? I have a knife sharpener that is a piece of toolers steel on a handle. I wear a leather glove and place the tip of the blade on my thumb and sharpen it while it is still on the broadhead. Deer never know the difference!!!!!!! Just as sharp and I feel it is a better for I give it a longer rake angle, meaning less effort for cutting.

Rocky77340 09-05-2011 04:39 PM

Keep in mind though that if it doesn't pass through, the blades are still tearing up the insides as they run, with either their legs or the forest working the shaft around. That skinny arrow is not gonna plug up the 2" entry cut. I shoot the Rage two blade 2" and I have not had many pass throughs yet, but I have brought everything home because the damage is so devastating to the inside. My blood trails still look as if I am pulling a drain plug. Just another idea to ponder on. I do like pass throughs don't get me wrong, but with my 2" cuts, the lack of such pass throughs hasn't changed the outcome of the harvest. It does some very nasty work. Happy Hunting.

YooperMike 09-06-2011 07:09 AM

I've used the standard size for a few years and have had great success with it. Last year, I took two does with the 2" cut model, and got pass throughs, but they were both under 20 yards and I shoot a 565 grain arrow, so the KE is not a worry for me. The 2" cut is pretty impressive, and the tracking was non-existant as they both only made it about 15 yards with double lung hits.

xGREENx 09-06-2011 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I picked up and pack of them and ill see how it goes. Problem now is what to do until my season starts