Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

60lb or 70lb

Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto on the lower poundage in colder weather. Last year I took a doe on Dec. 15th and it was -13 I believe. I had went out for the last hour of daylight knowing that's when I had glassed them, no earlier in those temps. They don't like to get up more than they have to either in such cold. Anyway, my bow was set to 70 pounds and I about pulled my arm out of my socket to draw from the blind. And that was with drawing every now and then beforehand to make sure I was loose. I am thinking about getting a new bow after 7 this years and maybe going wiht a 50-60 for the extreme cold I sometimes hunt.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 PM
GTD
Spike

I had a similar situation, with my bow set at 66 pounds, after sitting all afternoon in the cold when it came time to draw back it felt like a 140 pounds. If he is going to be cold weather hunting I would go with a 60. From what I understand a 60 pound bow will take down any North American animal.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

My first bow maxed out at 55lbs. (old PSE Nova) and I never had any problems in cold weather but seldom got pass thrus. My current bow is a 2006 BowTech Tribute 50-60# draw and with it maxed out it pulls 64# I have gotten a pass thru on just about every animal I have shot (~8 deer in the past 4 years and 1 bear) I also shoot a 345gr. arrow. The only pass thru I didn't get was a 48 yard shot quartering away where I hit the opposite shoulder socket.

My wife's father has an old Matthews Ovation that he bought 50-60# limbs because he got sick of barely being able to pull it back in the cold and it was over kill for his shots.

Personally I feel its all a matter of who can piss further when it comes to bow poundage. My buddy and I shoot side by side constantly (we're a little competitive) and I always out penetrate his bow that is set at a big bad 72#. I always get a good chuckle out of it and he can't shoot nearly the amount of arrows as I can in one outing.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old superb archer told me this decades ago ... sit in an armless chair or on a stool with toes pionted down and barley touching the ground. Just enough to keep your balance. With bow gripped, put it straight out in front. Draw back in one slow, smooth motion. Hold for a slow count of 30. You cannot do that under control and without strain or pain, then the draw weight is too high for hunting.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
A 60# Invasion goes to 64# so that is actually what I went with. In the past I've generally always ordered a 70# bow and then ended up shooting it somewhere in the mid 60's so with the Invasion I opted for the 60# maxed out to maximize the bows performance and it's worked out great!
Ditto!! Also at 56 years old, and being up in a cold treestand in Mid-Nov for 4-5 hours, you'll be glad you did!! Summer bow shooting in a T-shirt is way different than all bundled up in Mid Novemeber!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Sit down in a chair and see how he pulls back at 70, if he struggles in the least its to much weight and being cold will only make it worse so start taking 2-3 pounds off until you find the sweet spot, then buy the bow that meets that criteria. Mine was right at 64 ½ pounds.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

i would say if he can easily pull a 70 that what i shoot and have never given me an issue in any weather i would feel totaly comfortable shooting any deer with a 60 bow. and as i get older that what i will probally do
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Spike

To start off, there are people out there who have killed deer, regularly, with 35-40# bows and a well placed shot. That said, whatever you're comfortable with works.

The heavier bow might come in handy if one were to get the chance at that special elk hunt or something like that.

Ten years, two shoulder and wrist surgeries, and about 80 lbs. ago, I had no trouble shooting 90+# compound bows and 60-70# recurve and long bows. This year, I'm just beginning to be able to shoot my 53# recurve well enough to hunt with and have my old Pro-Line Match Point target bow camoed and turned down to 47# so I can get in the woods. You never know what the future has in store for you.