Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
New bow, Mathews eZ7 or Hoyt CRX 32? >

New bow, Mathews eZ7 or Hoyt CRX 32?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New bow, Mathews eZ7 or Hoyt CRX 32?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default New bow, Mathews eZ7 or Hoyt CRX 32?

I will be replacing my 14 year old PSE this summer. I have been looking around for a new bow, asking fellow bowhunters, doing research on the net and in magazines.
I am looking for something that is no shorter ATA than 32 inches and has at least a 7 inch brace height. Want something smooth, quiet and forgiving. I am way past the super fast, whos got the baddest bow phase. I will use it mostly for hunting deer here in WV and shooting 3D with friends.

I believe i have it narrowed down to two bows. The Mathews eZ7 and Hoyt CRX 32. I have never really been a Mathews fan but can't ignore all the great things said about the new Z7. Everyone that i have talked to that owns one swears by it. I also love the look and feel of the Hoyt bows, i played around with a maxxis last year and it felt great in my hand.

Whatever i get it will be 50-60 pounds and be set at 60. I am getting to old to be pulling 70+ pounds all day shooting 3D or fighting it in the cold during hunting season. If i get the Mathews i will go with the eZ7 because of the slightly longer axle to axle.
Either way it will be set up with quality accessories, probably from QAD, Spott Hogg, G5 etc.

Just curious to see what others have to say about these two choices. If you shoot either i would like to know what you think of them. How accurately do they shoot, how smooth and shock free are they? Any help would be appreciated.

dave
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Couple years ago, I had to switch from recurves to a compound due to arthitus in the fingers. I tried alot of bows and settled on a used mathews Switchback XT. It was a hit around 2005,6 &7. Had a reputation as being one of the best hunting bows around. I've really enjoyed it and see no reason to buy new. Tried a z7 just to see how they felt. It was alot quieter, had a smooth draw cycle and had less shock or vibration than my bow which had enjoyed a good reputation in those areas. It made me really take notice, but the z7 cam was too aggressive for my old mucsles. It was smooth though. The ez7 looks to have a cam similar to my older bow and I bet you will really enjoy it. My cam has very good manners and decent speed and has behaved very well for me under various hunting applications. Sorry I havent tried the Hoyt.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 AM
Spike

Default Z9

Grizzly
I would not be so concerned about the ATA of 32" It is rizer length that matters. I shot the Z7 7"BH and Z9 which has 83/4" of BH and i will tell you the Z9 won me over and it is very smooth and forgiving. I only shoot a 28"DL and i know they advertise the bow for long draw shooters but dont let that stop you from trying a Z9 it is a very snooth and forgiving bow and even with 83/4" of BH it still has a IBO of 312. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks.
Gene
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Visited a shop last week that sells mathews and hoyt and shot a mathews z7 extreme and a hoyt crx 32. Both were amazing bows and i couldn't tell a difference in how they shot. They both were very quiet, smooth and completely shock free. Compared to my old PSE they were light years ahead. After comparing the pros and cons of each i am leaning towards the Hoyt. It felt better in my hand, more comfortable and well balanced. It was slightly cheaper, and it didn't cost extra to get it in all black like the mathews.

I may change my mind before i buy but it looks like the hoyt will be my new bow come this summer.