HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Extreamly Tight budget = Which broadhead/arrows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/34076-extreamly-tight-budget-broadhead-arrows.html)

Chooch 07-27-2003 09:58 PM

Extreamly Tight budget = Which broadhead/arrows?

Well the opening statement says it all.
I was looking in Cabela' s and their own line of broadheads " look" good and are a lot cheaper then most. Has anyone tried them. Or have some Idea' s what to go with.
I am also needing new arrows and have pretty much made up my mind on the Carbon PSE Dominator (200' s). Although I don' t know much about those except they have to be better then the Korean made alternitve I had in my hand for $19.95 per6 at Gander Mountain.
I know in most cases that you get what you pay for. And I hate to have to cut back like this knowing that. But please throw me some options here.
Also what are some determining factors in choosing tip grain. I will be hunting Whitetails. And so far set on 100 to 125. Does it have much to do with arrow balance? Or just weight in general?

Martin Mag Bow
61 Lb.
29" DL but will be shooting 28.75 length arrows
Single Cam

5 shot 07-28-2003 03:44 AM

RE: Extreamly Tight budget = Which broadhead/arrows?

If money is a problem and you already have picked your arrows I would go with a broadhead that you can sharpen yourself. The bear razorlite or razorhead withouth bleeders will get you in the 100 to 125 grn range and won' t cost an arm and a leg. They are also very good heads. You should be able to get 6 for around 20 bucks, and they will preform and game and you won' t need to buy replacement blades. Just touch them up with a knife sharpner, even the cheap 4 doller ones from wall mart seem to do the trick.

DE.Hunter 07-28-2003 09:59 AM

Go with a fixed blade broadhead. If you miss you can sharpen and go again. Most mechanical broadheads are done after one shot, especually if you miss.

mez 07-28-2003 12:08 PM

Look at Gold Tip arrows before you make up your mind. The XT' s are excellent shafts and very reasonably priced.

Macdaddy 07-28-2003 01:45 PM

My vote would be Muzzy' s for BHs. you can pick up 6 for $30 and they come with one set of practice blades. Invest in practice so that you won' t need more than 1 or 2 this season. The replacement blades are not too expensive and you should not need any for a few years if you take quality shots at relaxed deer. I remember being on a tight budget and trying to cut corners. I usually got what I paid for. Whenever possible buy quality over quantity and you won' t be let down. Just make sure the arrows are the correct spine for your bow. Take the three that group the best and set them aside with your BHs and you will be able to shoot with confidance this fall.

Good luck.

greg-dude 07-28-2003 04:43 PM

I used to use the Lazer Supreme from Cabalas and really did not have any complaints against them. The Muzzies I now have are just a step up. I used to use Bear Razor braoadheads as well and kill quite a few animals with them. I would not feel inadequately equip if I went back to either one of those two heads. As far as weight, just find a weight that your arrows will fly straight with.

justhrowit 07-29-2003 09:10 AM

If Money is tight... BUY EVERYTHING ON EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chooch 07-29-2003 10:30 AM

Thanks guys
I went with the muzzy 100 gr. and the PSE Carbon Force. Can' t wait to get out there and start shooting.
Again thanks

Deleted User 07-30-2003 01:24 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]