Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

treestand safety

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default treestand safety

In your opinion, which is safer? A climber or a lock on. I'm new to archery hunting and I want to be as safe as possible. I also just purchased my first lock-on. Its a Big Game Boss Lite. Seems pretty sturdy. I set it up at about 2' off the ground, climbed in and bounced around some in it. I also added an extra strap, just to be a little safer. The safety harness it came with looks a bit flimsy, so I am going to go with a HSS. Its 8 more months till deer season starts, so I'm stiil looking. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually both are relatively the same safety wise if used as directed. With the climber it is easier to have your safety harness attached to the tree and slide it up as you go. With the lock on, it is a PITA with the harness trying to get it over the tree steps/stick ladder. If you go with the lock on, be sure to get yourself a harness with a climber belt to install your treestand and then a 'lifeline' rope for getting in and out during hunting season. This lifeline attaches at the top (above your stand) and at the bottom (ground) and has a sliding loop that you attach your harness to in case of a slip.
You rarely hear of an accident caused by treestand faliure or while in the tree. most often falls are from getting on and off the stand. With a lock on, you last step should be level or just above your stand so you can step over onto it and not up onto it.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt from both and always feel safer in my climber do the former stated fact that you can be tied to the tree before the climb. However not all trees are climber friendly and I use sticks as well. Its much more of a hassle being strapped to tree via a climbing belt when ascending using sticks, tree limbs or whatever. I find myself just not fastening in until I'm about ready to leave the sticks to step onto the stand.

Dan
Old 01-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't bounce on the stand, they are not made to handle any kind of jumping. Keep your weight centered as much as possible and you will not have a problem. The HSS is much easier to use than the supplied harness.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Spike

I hunt out of both kinds and I like lock ons for bow hunting. Just always have someone with you to help put the stand up. Climbers are great if you are just slipping in a spot. I also like the lock on because you can put it in some really nice trees that a climber will not fit on.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

hang ons 100%. climbers can slip if you're not dug into the tree enough?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Spike

both are safe if used properly and if safety harnesses are worn. I use both, have a lonewolf alpha hand climber that I use in some spots and feel safer in the climber going up and coming down but both stands are safe once in them and your harness is tied into the tree. the only time I get uneasy is when taking the gorilla silverback off my back and tightening the strap to the tree. good thing its light though
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Spike

In Oregon Hunter Safety Education is required for anyone under the age of 18 to hunt on public land. Until recently, students were required to attend a 16-hour classroom course to gain certification. The new HunterCourse.com online hunting safety course allows students to study the bulk of material from home, and attend a single Field Day training session (led by a qualified instructor) in order to become certified.
==============
website builder
ps3 break
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have both and have always felt safer in climber
Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Spike

I have purchased two different lock-on stands. One is a Big Game XL, the other is a Rivers Edge. Also bought a HSS safety vest. The harness that comes with the stand seemed to be a real pain to put on. I can imagine what its like in the dark. I have a set of climbing sticks on the way. The screw in steps looked like a good way to get hurt, in a fall. Now I just have to wait till spring to practice setting these up.