Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 GKF Mirage vs. any other drop away rest >

GKF Mirage vs. any other drop away rest

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

GKF Mirage vs. any other drop away rest

Old 07-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Spike

Default GKF Mirage vs. any other drop away rest

I have been trying to decide on a drop away rest. I know there is a huge following for the MZE but I really dont care for the looks of it, seems to take up much more room and resources on the bow than a regular rest does.

That being said, I seem to be leaning toward the Mirage and while I find alot of good things said about it I also find many people just saying they' d choose " X" rest over the Mirage but no one ever gives any reasons. What are the problems with the Mirage?

During my search for info, I have seen that there were problems earlier on when it was first marketed but I believe they have corrected them.

Any help in this area would be appreciated. Im not one to just keep changing things to try them out. I like to find something and stick with it.

D
Old 07-16-2003, 10:32 AM

Default RE: GKF Mirage vs. any other drop away rest

i have a sme fallaway,now vital bow gear, it holds the arrow at rest (you can even turn the bow upside down ) i looked at the mirage and with the tech riser on a hoyt it didn' t look like it would fit , and it looks like and overdraw! but i still think gkf makes one of the best rests on the market ,if your set on gkf they have another fallaway and the golden premier is available in a fallawy also,chek out thier website.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:16 PM

I just switched to a drop-rest, I used a bodoodle.The bodoodle worked great with aluminuns. I got some carbons and really liked the added speed, they gave me.The carbons hit the rest with the veins and couldnt adjust it enough to get a clear shot. I then started reading on this forum about the drop-aways. I went to the sporting goods store and looked at them. The best thing about the mirage is I can replace the spring or string on it if it fails, try doing that to the drop zone or trapdoor.I like the mirage very much its really simple.Thats why I guess I like it
Old 07-17-2003, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as drop aways go I like the Muzzy best. The only other drop away i see on the market that may give the Mze a run for it' s money is the new " power drop" by golden key. It looks like it has some nice features and would work well, but I have not tried it so I can' t say for sure.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Mirage on my Bowtech VFT and it works great. It does look like an overdraw as someone said, but it is simple and I can repair the spring or rubber tubing in the field if needed. Once it' s setup, it works, that' s all I can ask. I' ve added some felt to make the arrow quieter on the riser while at rest. Other than that, no issues.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also haev the mirage on my SQ2. I couldn' t ask for a better rest. It was easy to install and tune. And talk about quiet, boy this thing don' t make a squeek. As it does look like an overdraw so to speak, there is enough adjustment in the thing to make it an overdraw. I had a 1" mathews overdraw on before and I didn' t want to have to get all new arrows because I switched my rest. I dropped it back and still have a little more room if I wanted to go back farther. I would eventually like to move it back up right against the riser, but I have quite a few arrows to go through first. The rest seems solid and I haven' t had any problems with it, no complaints at all. I really like the fact that I can basically set my bow on its side and the arrow won' t fall off the rest.

Like someone said, they had some early on problems, but they fiixed them and were even sending out parts if you called them with an old one. Golden Key is great with their customer service. GKFTech is even in here once in a while and he is always a great help.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:46 PM

Well, you make a good point. This was my conclusion. I' ve tried the MZE, drop zone, trap door, mirage, and bodoodle. They all shoot arrows well, are tunable, and for the most part dependable. I was sold on the Mirage for many months last year and really liked it. Then about 2 weeks prior to hunting season I was shooting some 3d and the rest broke. The aluminum bar that holds the rest snapped and durability became an issue. GK sent me a new steel bar that' s supposed to be stronger. The other issue was that steel wire that rotates up. It doesn' t look so strong to me and could easily be bent if you cought it pretty good on something. I bent mine a little just putting a plastic tube over it to silence it better. Also, tuning the up/down was harder with this rest than with the others.
Overall, I like the MZE best, then the drop zone, mirage, bodoodle, and last trap door. My opinion and experience only.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 PM

I have a mirage and at the risk of offending some, I would consider it the worst dropaway rest I have ever tried. I have 3 Muzzys and they were ugly when I first got them but each day I shot , they get better looking. I modified the mirage and it worked a little better but was REALLY noisey. If anyone would like this rest(remember it has been modifed), I will send it to you for what ever the shipping is. Don