HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Magnus Buzz Cut Broadheads -- Anyone tried them? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/331368-magnus-buzz-cut-broadheads-anyone-tried-them.html)

BillBrasky 10-06-2010 09:51 PM

Magnus Buzz Cut Broadheads -- Anyone tried them?

The doctor who sewed up my leg after a turkey hunt last spring was raving about these broadheads. He said the serrated edges really cut through thick meat and the wide cutting diameter made them great for turkeys too. Has anyone tried them? I am thinking of switching from my Montec G5 carbon steels.

Bernie P. 10-07-2010 05:39 AM

I've been using the glue on Magnus heads for years.I'm using the Stingers this year with the compound.You cant go wrong with any of their broadheads.Good luck!

Western MA Hunter 10-07-2010 05:41 AM

I have not personally, but have never heard a bad review on them yet...

cowboycrittergitter 10-07-2010 06:22 AM

I have been using them for several years now. I have shot deer, turkeys, and hogs with them. Very durable and work great. I love the warranty on Magnus products as well.

bronko22000 10-07-2010 08:09 AM

ditto on cowboy's post

bowhuntre 10-07-2010 05:16 PM

if you have a 300+ bow I wouldn't go with them... they'll plane on you about 25 yards out. missed a 6 point tonight do to that and changing heads for tomorrow.

HoytMT2332 10-07-2010 08:07 PM

I just recently switched to stingers. Out of my bow there is no difference in flight between the stingers and fieldtips. Very tough too, i haven't shot a deer with them yet though.

bigbulls 10-07-2010 08:24 PM

The doctor who sewed up my leg after a turkey hunt last spring was raving about these broadheads. He said the serrated edges really cut through thick meat and the wide cutting diameter made them great for turkeys too.
I can't believe a doctor is recommending a serrated edge over a smooth edge in a broadhead. The fact is that a cut from a sharp smooth edge promotes massive bleeding while a cut with a serrated edge promotes faster clotting.

AS far as stingers go they are an excellent broadhead with great flight characteristics and are extremely sharp with a lifetime warranty.

BillBrasky 10-08-2010 11:00 AM

"if you have a 300+ bow I wouldn't go with them... they'll plane on you about 25 yards out. missed a 6 point tonight do to that and changing heads for tomorrow."

bowhuntre, I am using a diamond razor set at 28" and a 50 lb draw length so I don't think I will be shooting over 300 fps. BTW, why did you take a shot at a 6 pointer? Let that little guy grow up some!

"I can't believe a doctor is recommending a serrated edge over a smooth edge in a broadhead. The fact is that a cut from a sharp smooth edge promotes massive bleeding while a cut with a serrated edge promotes faster clotting."

Bigbulls, while it's true that more torn tissue will signal for more coagulation factors to be released it's also true that a large and jagged wound will have more trouble closing. Also, the doctor I'm referencing used to be a county coroner before he left to work at the student health center on campus, so I'm guessing he has seen his fair share of gnarly wounds.

But from what everyone has said, I could go either way on the stingers vs the buzz cuts. The price is right and it's great that magnus stands by their product so strongly.

bowhuntre 10-10-2010 03:46 PM

puts food on the table.

BillBrasky 10-10-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bowhuntre (Post 3699592)
puts food on the table.

True, but so does a doe.

bigbulls 10-10-2010 05:27 PM

Bigbulls, while it's true that more torn tissue will signal for more coagulation factors to be released it's also true that a large and jagged wound will have more trouble closing
I wasn't aware that they made Magnus buzzcuts that much larger than they do the regular stingers. Oh, wait a minute.... they don't.

We aren't talking about a wound made with a two blade broadhead vs. one made with a chain saw.

When comparing wounds of equal size, which is what we are talking about here, the one that is made with a smooth sharp edge will bleed faster and longer than a wound made with a serrated edge. The wound made with the serrated edge will clot faster than the one made with the smooth edge. Period, there is nothing to argue about here.

HoytMT2332 10-10-2010 07:11 PM

Not everyone has alot of deer to shoot. I'd smoke that six pointer too. Shoot what makes you happy and don't worry about what others shoot. I'm out there to shoot a deer, sure bigger is better but some of us take what we can get.....

BillBrasky 10-11-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3699688)
When comparing wounds of equal size, which is what we are talking about here, the one that is made with a smooth sharp edge will bleed faster and longer than a wound made with a serrated edge. The wound made with the serrated edge will clot faster than the one made with the smooth edge. Period, there is nothing to argue about here.

But the wounds aren't exactly of equal size. In terms of length, they are the same because the wound can't be longer than the edges of the broadhead. In terms of width, the jagged texture should leave a wider cutting area because flesh is being torn from a larger area, which makes the wound more difficult close. Either way, like I said, either the stinger or the buzz cut should be more than enough to reliably put down a deer, so I will probably keep asking around to see what others are saying.

Originally Posted by HoytMT2332 (Post 3699783)
Not everyone has alot of deer to shoot. I'd smoke that six pointer too. Shoot what makes you happy and don't worry about what others shoot. I'm out there to shoot a deer, sure bigger is better but some of us take what we can get.....

I guess that's true. I guess I just thought it was a bit early in the season to settle on a small buck, but hey, I understand not having enough time/land resources/animals to hunt--To each their own.

HoytMT2332 10-11-2010 09:34 PM

Like you said, if i shoot a doe opening day, i'm waiting for big daddy to show up. I just don't see the deer like i used to. 3 years ago i wouldn't consider shooting a junk buck opening day, but hunting land with more hunters than deer, i must take what i can get. I need a new spot. These days i can't even count on a shot at a doe. Maybe this year will be better.

BillBrasky 10-12-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by HoytMT2332 (Post 3700605)
Like you said, if i shoot a doe opening day, i'm waiting for big daddy to show up. I just don't see the deer like i used to. 3 years ago i wouldn't consider shooting a junk buck opening day, but hunting land with more hunters than deer, i must take what i can get. I need a new spot. These days i can't even count on a shot at a doe. Maybe this year will be better.

Sorry to hear that the populations are so thin up in NY. You should come out to Kansas. Last July I had a nice 8 pointer in velvet run in front of my car right in the middle of the suburbs. The KDWP started an early hunt around Kansas City and Lawrence just to take care of the extra numbers!

HoytMT2332 10-13-2010 11:44 AM

LUCKY. lol. I don't think the deer herd is too thin in NY. I just think there is way to many people hunting the 50 acres i hunt. There are lots of deer in town where i live, very tempting, but also illegal. I have about 3 acres of woods behind my house, and i wish everyday i was allowed to hunt it. Lots of deer. I see them everyday. I hope to move to the midwest someday.