Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Scent Lok cost of ownership? >

Scent Lok cost of ownership?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Scent Lok cost of ownership?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default Scent Lok cost of ownership?

Considering a Savanna EXT coveralls. I know its the lightweight version but I'll layer underneath later in the season. Wondering if there is any crazy expensive detergent or other BS that goes along with these crazy expensive Scent Lok suits? I use scent-a-way detergent now on my normal hunting clothes so I'm familiar with those costs.

Also, any reason why I shouldn't buy the Savanna? My thinking is that I can use it by itself early next season. It's already starting the get chilly here so I was thinking I'd just layer underneath more and more as it gets colder.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Any good scent-free UV-free liquid detergent will work fine. After you wash it, hang it out to dry in an area where it won't get any un-natural scents. When completely dry, put it in a XL or XXL zip-loc bag. Just before you hunt, put it in the drier on high for 45 minutes. Spray scent-killer in the drier before you dry it. Be sure that your wife is not using scented drier sheets or scented laundry detergent. After you hunt, spray with a little scent killer on the neck and cuffs. Hang out to air out, then bag it again. Regenerate about once every 3 hunts. Try to wash your SL as little as possible to extend the life. Layering under the EXT is a great idea. I do that myself.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply man that sounds like a plan!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Scent Lok suit years ago. I'd never do it again. I was getting busted the first week I used it, and after talking to a chemical engineer about it there is just no way it could work to begin with. He just laughed. The amt of carbon in Scent Lok suits becomes saturated with oders and ineffective within hours of use, and after that can never be reactivated at temps less than 900F. Do a search - lawsuits abound. They don't work, so why pay extra for Scent Lok?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MNDan View Post
I bought a Scent Lok suit years ago. I'd never do it again. I was getting busted the first week I used it, and after talking to a chemical engineer about it there is just no way it could work to begin with. He just laughed. The amt of carbon in Scent Lok suits becomes saturated with oders and ineffective within hours of use, and after that can never be reactivated at temps less than 900F. Do a search - lawsuits abound. They don't work, so why pay extra for Scent Lok?
Interesting. I'll do some searching for those lawsuits. Did the deer testify in court? LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Spike

Hey he is correct... they are a commercial racket... Just get good camo, forget the scent control advertising.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

The amt of carbon in Scent Lok suits becomes saturated with oders and ineffective within hours of use,
They are saturated loooooong before you every put them on the first time.

They sit for days, weeks, months in the
*manufacturers China warehouses,
*shipping containers,
*State side storage facilities,
*UPS warehouse,
*UPS trucks,
*retail stores racks,
*your truck,
*****and finally your expensive scent proof storage bag that you purchased to keep those scent proof clothes scent free... that sat in
*China warehouses,
*Shipping containers,
*etc... etc... etc...
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Spike

I read some of the details about the lawsuit brought by MN hunters who also sued Cabelas and Gander Mtn who use Scent Lok in there own products. Sounds like the Us judge ruled that Scent Lok was guilty of false advertising when it claimed that the product "eliminated" human scent. I guess now they legally have to say "reduces" human scent.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Spike

I personally recommend Medalist Silvermax if you are going to spend the money. They can be washed normally and no carbon recharge.
I have ScentBlocker and Medalist. I think the Medalist is much better.
Keep in mind that you don't have to buy Scent Lok. All the stores have their own brand with Scent Lok option...cheaper way to go.
Scent Lok is made well but the carbon suits are not very cold friendly. They are made to ventilate. Wind cuts right through them.
I use my ScentBlocker suit in the warm weather and works well. You still have to use common sense about scent elimination. I use Dead Down Wind on all areas not covered by suit.
I wash my carbon suit with carbon wash, set outside to dry, recharge in the dryer and then set back outside for a day. I then put in bag with earth scent wafer. I only put on hunting clothes in the woods.

Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

I've read about all the whatnot about scent lok, and the other variants, and a few things confuse me or just flat seem impossible.
Activated carbon is the main aspect in these "stink eater suits" from what i've read.
It only lasts so long before it's gotta be reactivated.
Hmmmmm. Pay obnoxious money for something that I have no way to reactivate every few times I want to use it, or save my money and put it towards things that might actually make my hunt more pleasurable?
Used coveralls on Ebay - $25
Burlap - $40
Dyes for burlap-$15
Head net - free
Hot glue gun and glue sticks - $35
Investment - $115
Having a ghillie suit that's perfect for most areas I hunt, made by me, and scent free (sprayed many times with the homemade scent-away at $4 a gallon), plenty of ammo and arrows to practice with - PRICELESS!
If that pricey whizz-bang stuff is what you like, by all means have at it.
Just thought I'd float an alternative that works equally/better.
Dave