HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Slick Trick - Standard or Magnum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/330760-slick-trick-standard-magnum.html)

Gut Check 09-28-2010 12:44 PM

Slick Trick - Standard or Magnum

Looking to buy some 100 grain slick tricks. I have multiple friends that use them with favorable results. Before going out and spending the money on new broad heads, I would like to hear the experiences of those that have used both and if there is any noticeable difference in the broadhead other than the obvious 1/8 increase cutting diameter. Would prefer experiences of those that have shot both in target and hunting situations.

Bayou 09-28-2010 01:31 PM

Looked at them the day befiore yesterday and was wondering the exact same thing. Also was wondering if they truly flew like field points.

AR Bowhunter 09-28-2010 02:59 PM

I shot the magnums last year an they fly very good. I am very happy with them an I am shooting them again this year.

midsouth_hunter 09-29-2010 11:26 AM

I have used them for a few years and really like them. I shot a buck two years ago and they worked very well. Shot at 38 yards and hit less than optimum location on deer and the deer went 85 yards and expired. I was using the standard broadhead

Gladius87 09-29-2010 06:36 PM

But can we adress the question of how they fly in comparison to field points. I would like to know how much adjustment was needed if any at all when switching from field points. I am thinking of switching to the ST magnum from Rage but am not quite sold yet. I don't have alot of time to deal with re-sighting and stuff being a college student and all.

bigbulls 09-29-2010 07:07 PM

Looking to buy some 100 grain slick tricks. I have multiple friends that use them with favorable results. Before going out and spending the money on new broad heads, I would like to hear the experiences of those that have used both and if there is any noticeable difference in the broadhead other than the obvious 1/8 increase cutting diameter. Would prefer experiences of those that have shot both in target and hunting situations.
My advice is that if you are shooting a typical bow (320-330fps IBO) drawing 60 pounds or less use the standard cut. If you are shooting 60 pounds or more then use the magnums.

But can we adress the question of how they fly in comparison to field points.
Assuming that your "bow hunting rig" is set up properly and tuned properly then you should have absolutely no problem with the Slick Tricks grouping with your field tips. Even out of bows that are a bit out of tune they typically group with field tips.

Bottom line is this. If you can't get ST's to group with field tips with little to no effort then you have bigger problems than broadhead flight and using a large mechanical isn't going to help your situation.

Gladius87 09-29-2010 07:22 PM

My bow shoots just fine. Never had a problem shooting muzzys out of it before. Just trying to figure out if I have enough time to make the switch. I'm worried about pushing the Rage through a good sized deer seeing as how my setup isn't super fast. It blew a Rage through a yearling just fine last year, but those were some little ribs.

bigbulls 09-29-2010 07:27 PM

If Muzzy's are shooting good then the switch to ST's should be a piece of cake.

Gut Check 10-01-2010 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will be picking up some this weekend from the store. Haven't had really any issues with Montecs, just not real sharp out of the box. Good luck to all this season.