Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage didn't open up

Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

After 250+(I'm being lenient here) shots with the rage(not practice head) I have yet to have one open in flight or not open upon entry. Seriously, how could it not open??? Not saying ur experience didn't happen... Just sayin... Oh, and with angled rage shots, I've found the entry to be more extreme than straight on. Sure u weren't using the practice head haha. Glad u found the critter
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gladius87
The Rage will do wonders if you center a lung with it. It's not a head that you can expect to blow through a shoulder with. That's why you take a good shot broadside or quartering away like you are supposed to do.
A field point will do wonders if you center a lung. Personally, I would prefer a sturdy fixed blade if I did in fact hit a shoulder.

Not knocking rage at all as I haven't used one and will stick with a fixed broad head. I have friends that use them and like them.

In Rages defense, I am sure we could find examples of every broad head failing to meet our expectations or marketing claims.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Spike

I had problems with the 3 blade rages and swore I'd never use them again. After tuning and messing with my bow trying to get a fixed blade to fly properly, I went back to the rages, except I got the two blade.. I absolutely love them and dont plan on switching to anything in the near future.. Glad you got the deer though!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Spike

Poor shot placement wasn't the issue as the doe was angled and the arrow went exactly where it should have. I find it hilarious that some actually think it could not be the BH's fault. I believe any expandable BH could fail maybe it was bad luck but I doubt it. Will I use my other two, sure as they cost too much and I would like to see if was a one time thing. Some of my friends swear by them and some swear at them. Also I donated the deer and when I dropped it off at a locker inwhich is the largest in the area I asked the owner about the BH since he sees a huge amount each year. He said that they are "junk", some open up and make great wound channels but alot don't open up. While I was there there were 2 hanging that were shot with the 2-blade and they did the job perfectly. When they open they are great but I have spoken to several people that have had the same problem and poor shot placement can't always be the excuse.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed several deer with the Rage 2 blades ( 3 blade Rage are illegal in NY ) . Never had a problem with them !
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

respectfully, i would say SHOT PLACEMENT.
i have left a lot of bucks go because i cant get arrow BROADSIDE behind shoulder.i left 8 point with huge horns walk last year because it was angled like your doe.
fix blade if you are taking angled shots is best and i do like the slick tricks.
i use SPITFIRE 125 and every buck i shot the blades opened up.
why? because sproul only takes 1 shot on any buck, thats broadside behind shoulder or buck walks and HAS many many times.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd really like to know how a rage wouldn't open up because of shot placement.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I'd really like to know how a rage wouldn't open up because of shot placement.
this is why some swear by the fix points,they take angle shots.
angle of shot has something to do with it opening.
almost all the hunters i have read on other forums said when the mechinical did not open it was ANGLED shot.

i remember when chuck adams wrote about this long ago but the mechinicals have come a long way from that time.
he HATED them for just this reason and opening in flight.
this is why i only take broadside shot with them.
if i was taking angled shot which never do it would be with a slick trick fixed point.

take care sproul
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah but that's with "over the top" expandables. The way the Rage operates it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference in the angle of the shot. By design it should open up on any angle and not deflect.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bayou anti-hunting groups give all hunters enough grief as it is.We have a responsibility to any and all animals we hunt to do our absolute best to insure quick humane kills.Your decision to use the remaining heads you KNOW cannot be relied on to do so can not be justified.Certainly not due to cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.