Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Spike

i wouldnt say shooting a spike is bad, especially if its your own property.. i wouldnt but its a personal thing.. as for bad shot placement.. well show me anyone who has never mad a bad shot and ill show you a liar
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by millersaurus
i wouldnt say shooting a spike is bad, especially if its your own property.. i wouldnt but its a personal thing.. as for bad shot placement.. well show me anyone who has never mad a bad shot and ill show you a liar

shooting spike IS BAD.bad shot placement, yes it happens but odds it will not if you only take broadside shot at under 30 yards.
i have NEVER made bad shot with bow and i still use recurve from 1960 .ben pearson/bear kodiack .i use cedar arrows with feathers.
i know my limits and thats reason i always get my buck, never lost one yet even at 12 yrs old .but i am fossil that is not norm today .my way of hunting is slowly going away.

when i did make bad shot broadside i never hit deer,usually shot under the buck.

shooting over 30 yds or angle shot or shooting thru brush,YES YOU WILL UP CHANCES OF WOUNDING A BUCK.

i just dont do it, never lost buck but i have left some big bucks walk over years, like 50 would be easy figure that just did not give me a clean shot up to 30 yards.

but you have to feel as good LEAVING a buck go as you do takeing a buck for my way of hunting to work.
but i can sleep at night knowing that the shot i placed was done right.

take care sproul
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Odd, I never tasted the antlers after I make Jerky, thats great if you hunt just trophies but I like meat.. Taking a 3 year old spike out of the herd may be "bad" where you are at but not here.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Odd, I never tasted the antlers after I make Jerky, thats great if you hunt just trophies but I like meat.. Taking a 3 year old spike out of the herd may be "bad" where you are at but not here.
in all years i hunted, 46 yrs here in best hunting areas of pa.i can only recall of 1 spike that was over 3 yrs old.
most spikes if not all are 1 yr old or so deer.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
in all years i hunted, 46 yrs here in best hunting areas of pa.i can only recall of 1 spike that was over 3 yrs old.
most spikes if not all are 1 yr old or so deer.
thats the point I was trying to make. This was a very large deer and at the very least 2 years old. Some folks count points when they draw back...I count rolls of bologna.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Well, another person decides the rage is hype. The guy who runs our lease had a shot on an 11pt that we all have been fighting to get. 35 yards, a little high, quartering away shot, and only got 2-3" of penetration and broke off the arrow. Never could find em. All our fighting and argueing about short standing and all of us putting pressure on one set of woods, came down to this.

I have yet to see a thunderhead, magnus, G5, muzzy fixed do this. But it seems very common place for rages and even spitfires. He says he is changing next year.
Do what?? Get poor penetration on a poor shot which sounds like you hit heavy bone in the shoulder? I've done it with a Muzzy and got 2" of penetration and bent the "bad to the bone" tip right over.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
Do what?? Get poor penetration on a poor shot which sounds like you hit heavy bone in the shoulder? I've done it with a Muzzy and got 2" of penetration and bent the "bad to the bone" tip right over.
Like I said, when someone pimps it as hard as you do. (do a search on your name with "rage"), they got to question the motives.

I am just reporting what was said to me. I am sure you don't like it. If you play on the internet long enough you can find any opinion that you wish. But I have yet in 25 years of hunting to ever hear someone say they got poor penetration from a thunderhead, muzzy, or the newer slick tricks. Thats me.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Spike

I've had poor penetration with Muzzy heads when hitting the shoulder. So now you've heard a report of poor Muzzy penetration! I'm not knocking Muzzy, I don't think any head is going to penetrate a shoulder bone reliably. I am a Rage user and a very happy one at that. As much as I love the results I've seen with the 2 blade Rage, I would not expect it to perform well on a shoulder shot. Nor would I expect good results with a Muzzy, or any other head for that matter.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Spike

I dont got no problem with rage..switched from muzzy 3 blades to rage 3 blade this year..they should rename them to..$ blades
Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Like I said, when someone pimps it as hard as you do. (do a search on your name with "rage"), they got to question the motives.

I am just reporting what was said to me. I am sure you don't like it. If you play on the internet long enough you can find any opinion that you wish. But I have yet in 25 years of hunting to ever hear someone say they got poor penetration from a thunderhead, muzzy, or the newer slick tricks. Thats me.
25 years and no penetration complaints? It happens with ALL bh's and if you haven't heard then you sure aren't in the loop with many bowhunters.

Not pimping them just trying to make sure people, like yourself, understand that when shooting deer and you hit them in the shoulder area that bad things can happen to ALL BH's. Rage included.

I don't see that is pimping. I see that is telling the truth and educating others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.