Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage

Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ranger77
Rage swears a 3 blade will outpenetrate a 2 blade. Aint that funny?
Not really. That's basically what he was saying. The wider diameter broadheads don't penetrate as far as a smaller diameter broadhead. The 3-blade Rage has a smaller cutting diameter, hence it penetrates more.

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Odd things were...no real blood trail for the 1st 100 yards or so, Arrow didnt pass thru and it was a pretty good(not perfect) lung shot. Like I said I clearly viewed both sides of the deer after the shot.

So IDK was this a rage thing or just bad luck or what. Im not going to say a bad word about the broadhead cause frankly I don't know for sure. Part of me really wanted to find the deer not just because of the obvious but to see what the entrance and exit holes looked like.
The arrow was probably preventing the blood from coming out. Basic first aid says if you are impaled on an object, do not pull it out because it could be plugging the hole preventing you from bleeding out. The arrow sticking in the wound is the same basic principle.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Possibly the arrow was...except a 2.5" hole around the arrow on both sides(if BH opened properly) of the deer should still drop a good bit of blood.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM
bigcountry

Well, another person decides the rage is hype. The guy who runs our lease had a shot on an 11pt that we all have been fighting to get. 35 yards, a little high, quartering away shot, and only got 2-3" of penetration and broke off the arrow. Never could find em. All our fighting and argueing about short standing and all of us putting pressure on one set of woods, came down to this.

I have yet to see a thunderhead, magnus, G5, muzzy fixed do this. But it seems very common place for rages and even spitfires. He says he is changing next year.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Rage

Here's one for you, I shot a buck in KS. last Thursday with a 2 blade Rage quartering away at 20 yards and hit him right behind the right rib cage. The arrow exited out of the left side of his neck complete pass through. Massive blood trail and he only went 80 yards. How's that for penetration? By the way the only deer that I have ever lost was with a Muzzy, so maybe it is not the broadhead but the shot placement.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

bad shot placement and shooting a spike is wrong.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by sproulman
Yep and if you never done either, then you probably not hunted long.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
Not shooting a Spike? What planet are you from? It was a few year old large body deer. Not all folks hunt for wall hangers....I actually like making Jerky and Bologna so unless its a monster Im looking for how much meat he has on the bones more then anything.

Is a lung shot perfect..No...but bad shot? Whatever you say...

I found deer yesterday afternoon, from the wounds on either side of the rib cage the BH never opened on either side(entrance--exit) of the deer. So of course Im sick over it and guess I will go back to what I used to use that worked.

Last edited by Duckbutter48; 11-15-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Got a complete pass through with a rage 2 blade on this big bodied 10 pt and every other deer we have shot with rages. Watched him tip over, went maybe 35 yards. Dad only shoots 58 pounds and still gets pass throughs every time except a high shoulder blade shot where no broadhead will penetrate unless are shooting at least 85+ pounds.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Yep and if you never done either, then you probably not hunted long.
you are right too.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
But that Slick Trick magnum has 11% more cutting ability than the Rage 2 blade. It isn't the pointed tip that slows it up. Instead it's the wide cut that hinders penetration.

Any broadhead, regardless of who manufactures it, that has super wide cutting diameters will penetrate less than a broadhead that has equal cutting surface but a smaller diameter. Such as the Rage and Slick Trick. The Rage has a super wide cutting diameter but actually cuts less than the ST but the ST will out penetrate the Rage in every testing medium I have tested them in.

The biggest problem with these super wide heads is that they all require massive amounts of energy energy to push them through the animal and even more to push them through bones. If you don't have the energy and momentum to push these types of broadheads through then absolutely stay away from them.

IMO the other problem with Rage heads stems from their irresponsible and wreckless advertising campaign.

*Get your game or your money back. SERIOUSLY????? Has anyone tried this?
*It's like throwing an axe through the animal. Really Chuch Adams???? Just like a 6" wide axe blade?
*Expand your kill zone. Really? Just how much does my kill zone expand with a rage?

Down right irresponsible advertising. It's one thing if you are young and brand new to the sport, don't have a clue, and have no one to guide you on your way and you take the word of these so called "experts" because they are suppose to be trust worthy and not a bunch of product whores... but if your an experienced bow hunter and you fall for the down right reckless marketing hype then you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't get the BS results that they claim on television.

That about sums it up.Not saying a rage won't kill a deer but they offer no advantage over a slick trick or other similar fixed blade.

The advertising they do is completely irresponsible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.